Chapter Fourteen ~ Seed Continued

The morning came all too quickly when I was woken from my comfortable sleep by the scent of cooking food and quiet mumbling. I rubbed the sleep from my eyes, and I tossed the blanket off my legs, allowing me to stand up.

"Good morning Skye." Carl greeted from his spot next to me with a plate of food in his hands.

"Mornin' little Grimes." He smiled brightly at the nickname and handed me a small can of fruit with a fork, allowing me to eat as I joined the group.

That's why we have to go in hand to hand." I caught the end of a speech from Rick. "Daryl, Maggie, Glenn, T-Dog, Skye and myself will go in. Remember, formation." I finished off the can of fruit and jogged to catch Rick before he walked away.

"Rick?" He turned to face me. "There's a lot that Hershel still has to teach me in preparation for the baby and for when Lori goes into labor. You're alright that I stay back, right?"

"Of course not." He replied, slipping his gun into his holster. "Would you come on the next though?"

"Absolutely." Rick and I had made a really great team when we went on the few runs throughout the winter. We moved together like we had been doing it for years. His arm wrapped around my shoulders as he pulled me back to the group.

"Ok, so is everyone ready?" He asked as we were close enough. Maggie and Glenn nodded with a yes and Daryl just grunted, pulling his hunting knife out of its holster.

"Be safe!" I said to the group and pulled the fence open just big enough for all of them to squeeze through. My eyes followed Daryl as he stabbed a walker quickly and fell back into formation before they went around the side of the building.

"I can't see them, can you?" Lori asked, gripping the links of the fence tightly.

"Over there." Carol pointed to the corner they just disappeared around. "They'll be okay." She assured Lori. I smiled at them before I turned around in search of Carl.

"Hey, Skye! Come here!" He yelled from across the field. I ran down the small hill and over to the fence, worried that he was in trouble.

"What? What's wrong?" My voice called to the child who was crouched beside the fence line.

He pointed to the ground. "Look, it's just a little baby." He said, speaking of the small rabbit in a hole right at the edge of the fence.

"Go see if your mom has a box we can use." I offered, kneeling down beside the small animal, and tucking my fingers under its small body, pulling the furry creature to my chest.

Carl came running back through the grass to me, a photo box clutched in his hands. "Mom gave me this one! Will it work?" He asked, settling down beside me.

"It's perfect." Carl took off his brown plaid shirt and tucked it into the box tightly, allowing me to set the baby rabbit down on top of it.

"Are you going to give him a name?" I looked to Carl as he held into the box and gently ran his fingers of the rabbit's head.

Caryl's eyes lit up brightly. "I can name him?"

"Of course! You found him!" He quickly stood and began making his way back towards his mom with me right behind him.

"Mom! Skye is letting me name the bunny!" Caryl's voice seemed to echo around the field.

"That's great baby." She said smiling.

"Did you pick a name out?" I asked and sat beside Carl in the grass.

"No, not yet. I want to ask dad what he thinks." Carl picked the box up off the grass and took it over to Beth and Hershel, telling them all about the rabbit.