Chapter Fifty-four ~ Last Day On Earth

Rick was on his feet the second after those two words left my lips. He ran out of the house, calling for anyone who would join to get the RV and some supplies to take Maggie up to Hilltop to see Doctor Carson.

"We gotta move Maggs. You ready?" Her skin was already becoming a sick pale color as she nodded softly, gritting her teeth together. I pulled her arm up over my shoulders and placed my other arm around her waist to support her as much as I could on our walk out to the RV. Once I got her settled down on the bed in the back of the RV, I was heading back into my own house to grab my weapons and make sure we were ready to go. "Merle!" I called as I stomped up the stairs and into my room to grab what I needed.

"What's going on?" He looked out from his room down the hall.

I pulled my hand gun off the dresser in the closet and tucked it into my holster. "Maggie, the baby. Something happened. We're taking her to Hilltop. You coming?"

"Yeah, give me a minute." He disappeared back into his room.

My hands shook as I made sure I had everything then headed back downstairs. "Skye? What's wrong?" Jasper asked.

"Maggie is in a lot of pain so we're going to take her to the Hilltop." I told him, making myself sound calmer than I was.

"Can I come?"

I took a deep breath and stared down at him. "Ok. You do what I say, ok?"

"Yes! Thank you! I'll see you on the RV!" He took off out the door and turned sharply for the front gate.

I looked up the stairs. "Merle! You coming?"

His heavy footsteps sounded against the hardwood stairs. "Let's go!"

We walked together out to the RV, seeing most of our group there. "Aaron." I smiled when he caught my eye.

"How you doing?" Aaron and I had grown pretty close during the past few months of living at Alexandria.

"I'll be better when we get Maggie to the doc." We boarded the RV and I went back to sit by Maggie, Jasper at my side. "You're gonna be ok." I picked up her hand and held it tightly. Carl walked on and handed my rifle to me. "You got someone to watch Judy?"

"Yeah, Gabriel." Carl gave me a serious nod. "She's gonna be fine."

With a deep breath, I nodded and looked back to Maggie. My fingers trailed over her head, wiping some of the sweat from her hair. She was curled up in pain, holding my hand tightly as the pain waves intensified. Merle and Aaron both took their seats on the bench across from me, keeping their eyes on the floor or Maggie.

The RV started up shortly after we were all seated and it wasn't long until we couldn't see Alexandria. "Where's Glenn?" Maggie asked, pain laced in her voice.

"He wasn't back yet. Neither was Daryl, Michonne or Rosita." My hand tightened around hers. "Gabriel has guards on twenty-four hours a day, and once they see him, they'll send him over to Hilltop. You'll have him with you soon, don't worry." She nodded weakly.

"So, what's with the hair?" Merle asked, leaning his arms on his legs. "Both of ya." He was trying to lighten the mood a bit.

Maggie forced a small smile. "Needed a change." She answered for the both of us.

Aaron laughed a bit. "It fits you both."

"Thanks." I ran my fingers through my short hair. Footsteps from the hall made me look up. "Rick."

"Hey." He greeted us.

"We'll give you a minute." I stood and the three boys did as well, following me out into the rest of the RV.