Chapter Nineteen ~ When the Dead come Knocking

I handed the now calm baby off to Beth, telling Hershel that he was needed inside, and that Carl and I would go down to back Rick up. Carl passed me a gun as we began walking down to Rick's side. "Rick?" I called when we got closer, not wanting to scare the man. The woman on the other side of the fence was covered a dark blood and clutched onto a red shopping basket filled with baby supplies. How did she know? Her dreaded hair was held back with a headband, her gloved hand pressing into a hole in her thigh. "Rick." The walkers around her were starting to smell the blood that wasn't being masked by the walker blood that coated her clothes and part of her face. Just as she went to pull her sword and defend herself, she dropped the basket and fell backwards. I instantly tucked the gun away and moved towards the gate, pulling a small portion open just enough for us to get through and help her.

Carl shot at a few walkers that got too close as Rick and I ran out to grab her and supplies she brought. Rick puller her up over his shoulder as I grabbed her sword and the basket before running back inside the gate and up to the cell block. When we got in, Hershel had stepped out of his cell, sending me a nod to show me Carol would be ok, and Rick placed the woman on the ground, outside the main cell area. Carl passed him a water bottle as I placed her things on the floor beside them and went to take the baby back from Beth.

I bounced the little girl slightly while watching Rick pour some of the water over the woman's face, making her jump and reach for the sword. Rick's foot stomped down on the sword, sliding it out of her reach while also pushing her down. "Who are you?" Her eyes flitted around the room, taking extra care as they passed over the baby in my arms. "We're not gonna hurt you, unless you try something stupid." Rick told her.

"Rick?" Daryl stepped out beside me, looking at the oldest Grimes. "Who the hell is this?"

"You want to tell us your name?" Rick looked back at the woman.

She had yet to say anything, obviously scared of the group around her. "You better come in here." Daryl calls for Rick.

"Everything alright?" Our leader looked back at the hunter.

"You're gonna want to see this."

"Go ahead." Rick tilted his head to Hershel, Beth, and I. "Carl get the basket." Rick motioned for me to enter first, obviously not going to leave his youngest with a strange woman. The group took their turns welcoming Carol back, holing her tightly and smiling. I approached with a smile, moving the blanket down from the baby so she could see her properly.

"Oh my, she's beautiful.' Carol cooed to the baby, her hands on her cheeks as she stared down. She looked back at Rick and he had tears in his eyes. "I'm sorry." She whispered to Rick, tears in both of their eyes, including Carl at my side. I wrapped my arm around his shoulders and pulled him into my side, trying to comfort the grieving boy.

Once we had all managed to say hello to Carol, we were left with dealing with the woman. Carol had asked softly if she could watch the baby for a while, me giving her a soft smile and passing the little girl over. I then headed up to grab my weapons belt and joined Rick and Daryl in questioning the woman. She was seated at one of the tabled when I joined, holding her hand over her wounded thigh.

"We can tend to that wound for you." Rick said quite nicely. "Give you a little food and water then send you on your way." The last bit came out with an edge in his voice. "But you're going to have to tell us how you found us and why you were carrying formula."

"Supplies were dropped by a young Asian guy with a pretty girl." She told us. Glenn and Maggie.

"What happened?" I asked from behind Rick and Daryl who were also seated at the table.