Chapter Forty-Nine ~ Knots Untie

Jasper and Carl had come bursting into our room in the very early hours of the morning. Daryl and I were quick to pull real clothes on, him instantly following the boys down while I went to grab a crying Judith before joining him.

I met Rick and Michonne on my way from the boy's room, both stepping out of Rick's room pulling different pieces of clothing on. My eyes widened and I sent the oldest Grimes a teasing look, getting an eye roll and a smirk back as we made our way down the stairs.

The man Rick and Daryl had carried in the previous night was sitting at the base of our stairs, Daryl pushing the boys back while Maggie, Glenn, and Abraham came through the front door with their guns drawn up.

"It's ok." Michonne said to us, holding her hand out to tell them to drop their weapons.

"You said we should talk." Rick said as Merle joined our sides from his room down the hall. "So, let's talk." We all drifted to the dining room, Jesus taking the head of the table by the windows as the rest of us spread out. I took a seat on the side, Rick to my right and Daryl stood protectively behind me, Jasper and Carl sharing the seat to my left. "So, how'd you get out?" Rick asked.

Jesus shrugged. "One guard can't cover two exits, or third floor windows. Knots untie and locks get picked. Entropy comes from order, right?"

"Right." Daryl mumbled.

"I checked out your arsenal. I haven't seen anything like that in a long time." My eyes flashed up to Jesus, how much had he seen of our home before getting here? How much damage could he have done? "You're well equipped, but your provisions are low. Very low for the amount of people you have. Fifty-four?" He asked.

"More than that." Maggie said, crossing her arms.

Jesus sighed. "Well, I appreciate the cookie. My compliments to the chef."

"She's not here." I said, thinking of Carol.

"Look, we got off to a bad start." Jesus turned to face Daryl. "But we're on the same side, the living side. You and Rick had every reason to leave me out there, but you didn't. I'm from a place that's a lot like this one. Part of my job is searching out other settlements to trade with. I took your truck because my community needs things, and both of you looked like trouble. I was wrong. You're good people, and this is a good place. I think our communities may be in a position to help each other."

"Do you have food?" Glenn immediately asked.

Jesus nodded. "We've started to raise livestock. We scavenge, we grow. Everything from tomatoes to sorghum."

"Tell us why we should believe you." Rick said.

"I'll show you." Jesus looked over each of us. "If we take a car, I can take you back home in a day, and you can all see for yourselves who we are and what we have to offer."

"Wait." Maggie interrupted. "You're looking for more settlements? You mean you're already trading with other groups?"

"Your world is about to get a whole lot bigger." Jesus leaned back in his chair with a smirk on his face at our shocked expressions.

After some discussion, we all decided that it couldn't hurt going to see the community that Jesus talked so highly of. It was one of him and plenty of us, armed to the teeth. We all grabbed what we needed, weapons and enough gas to get us there and back before we met up at the RV.

"I can take her." Carl came up behind me with a soft smile.

"You're not coming?" I asked as I passed Judith over to him.

He shook his head. "Someone's gotta protect this place."

I gave him a soft smile, my fingers running through some of his hair. "Alright. I'm gonna keep Jazz here with you." Carl nodded and his eyes shifted to something behind me. I turned to see my brother walking out of the house with a bag in his hands. "What you doin' bud?"