Chapter Fifty-seven ~ Hearts Still Beating

A few days farther down the road, we had people already prepping for the next time Negan would show up, knowing he wouldn't wait the two whole weeks. I had been busy distracting myself with small runs out into the woods to find food and any possible supplies left by walkers. I hadn't found much though, leading Rick and Aaron to go on a run to a nearby boat that they had found in a lake. I had volunteered to stay back, in the off chance that Negan would show up again.

Jasper had refused to talk to me the whole time. He would stay up in his room with Carl or lock himself up there alone. Carl was kind enough to keep tabs on my little brother and let me know about how he was, constantly dropping into my room late into the night so Jasper wouldn't know. I was struggling, keeping myself together with all three of my boys either gone, not talking to me, or dead.

I was currently sitting in the kitchen with Judith, watching as she ate her breakfast slowly while also laughing at me and the toys on the table. "Is that good baby girl?" I asked her in a small voice, speaking softly to her. She nodded her head quickly before shoving the last handful of cereal into her mouth before reaching out for me. "How about we take a walk, my love?" I picked her up and headed outside.

Our walk was calm. I had made sure to check in to all the stations throughout our community, weapons, food, watch, absolutely anything in order to make sure we were safe.

I had only just gotten Judith situated up in her crib after our walk when there was a low knock at the back door of my house. Making sure Judith was safe, I headed down and pulled the yellow door open, revealing Negan with Carl and Jasper behind him. My body froze and it seemed like my brain stopped working at the sight of the man that destroyed my family. Negan walked past me and into the house. "Carl? Jasper?" My voice was barely a whisper.

"Great, great, great. Where's Rick?" Negan turned to me for an answer.

I crossed my arms over my chest. "On a run to gather supplies for you people."

"Cool. I get to hang with the wife. I'll wait."

I had to force myself to stop the eyeroll. "He went out kinda far. Might not even be back today. I'd hate for you to waste your time."

"What's your name again?" Negan leaned a bit closer.

"Skyler."

"Well, Skyler. You're Daryl's wife, right? Yeah, I remember." Negan stepped closer to me. "You know, we've got a lot of time until your leader comes back, and seeing as your man's not here, why don't we go upstairs and, you know..." Negan trailed off suggestively.

It took everything in me not to reach out and punch the man in the face but with one look back to the two boys behind Negan, I knew I had to stop myself, to keep them safe. "Listen, I get that you can do whatever the hell you want at your place, but I'm married. There is nothing in this world that could possibly make me go upstairs with you." I stared straight at him, hoping I was coming off strong and not as broken as I felt. "So, go screw yourself."

"God." Negan groaned. "You know, I'm about 50% more into you now." At this comment, my eyes dropped to the floor and I only prayed Rick and Aaron would get back quickly. "So, I'm going to lean back and relax while your people come back with my stuff. Skyler, would you be an angel and make me some lemonade? And not that crap stuff, the real powdered stuff you mix with sugar." That nickname from his mouth nearly made me turn and walk away. Angel had always come off as intimate and personal for Daryl and me, and now that Negan used it, I didn't want to be anywhere near him.

I forced a smile on my face. "Of course. Please, make yourself comfortable." With that, I left to make the lemonade that he so kindly asked for, leaving the two boys behind.