178

Mono quietly stepped toward her. He stayed low and dead silent like he was stalking her, almost grazing the ground with the tips of his thin fingers, though that was more a testament to how absurdly lanky his bandaged arms were. The Broadcaster lightly grabbed her wrist and inspected the Roxy and Foxy Fazwatches like they were about to jump out and bite him. His lapis eyes glowed and hummed through his crooked wolf mask, he sniffed her like a dog, his breathing and hushed growling buzzed like glitches and a stuttering computer. She still couldn't get a good look at his face, the peek at his scar in the Bakery remained all she had to go off of. The darkness behind the plastic felt twisted like there was something deeply wrong, the type of unnatural aura around awful people who'd killed or someone who'd seen something nobody should. So completely pitch-black behind nothing but a thin layer of broken plastic fastened by string that he couldn't have been able to see, yet handled the computer hanging from her arm just fine. Cassandra's skin tingled and stung as the royal blue static buzzed over her and Gregory's watches. Black lines crawled over her clothes, only visible when they crossed the light gray stripes around her torso. When he was finished, his and Six's watches pinged on her map app as blue and red eye symbols with Six's outline in the center. They overlapped each other at the moment but all they had to do was get Bailey one and they'd be able to keep track of each other! Not that the given Pizzaplex map would help with that, Gregory's modifications to his own watch would leave Cassie the defacto navigator whenever they stepped off the beaten path. Not a responsibility she was prepared for but she'd walked around the city enough times to keep a grasp of where she was going. She gave him a small, soft, grateful smile, to which he just nodded, and reached her hand up to scratch his head. Six loved it, maybe he would to! And he's the nice one! Mono didn't object as her neon green fingernails dug through his hair. His analog growling and hissing appeared to stop for a moment and she thought she was in the clear. And his hair was so dense, she couldn't help imagining just how fun it would be to brush him! 

"You should let it grow out." She softly smiled again. "You're so great at all this! You're so cool! You're strong and smart and tough!" 

Her muffled but excited praises were cut short when Mono looked up just barely enough for her to look into his eyes. They were dead, not eyes but empty blue rings behind Lycan eye sockets. So inhumanly indifferent and overflowing with enough bitterness to kill countless in a fraction of a second, so much refined hate in a single soul that he shouldn't even be alive, so deceptively neutral but not bothering to hide anything. His eyes looked deep down into hers, blank and soulless, waiting this whole time for her to wander close enough like a predator in ambush. His clawed hand shot up and snatched her by the forearm. She pulled away too slowly and couldn't even make him budge a fraction of an inch. His eyes never left her, his eyes, they were hidden in the black like seeing a hint of a creature's fur in the forest out of the corner of your eye but didn't even twitch in the slightest as an angry person's would; no squinting, no furrowed brow, no flaring breaths mixed with static, no gritting of razor sharp fangs. Just a few years older than her at max and there was only hate in his empty, lifeless, uncaring, and narrow eyes, hate to salt a planet and poison an ocean. A dark blue haze consumed her and her vision flashed to the inside of a concrete room bathed in pink light. Stone walls barricaded every side and she was left alone, completely alone, on a tall wooden chair as the light gradually faded to a pale, sickly cyan with nothing breaking the prison but a closed door in front of her and the suffocating, crushing weight of being watched. Everywhere she looked and everywhere she went she was being watched, eyes were looking clean through her every movement and every word no matter where she went or what she did. All she was, all she did, all she wanted were being discerned just by her being there and she couldn't take it.