Chapter Twenty-Two

"I'm bored," Lilith sighed as she set her Nintendo Switch down on the rolling table "I can only play offline for so long before I get bored, and the wi-fi here sucks," she groaned.

"Well, they don't want you up and moving around yet," Samael said as he spun around on the stool "Do you want me to bring you something?" he asked hopefully.

"Is coffee still out of the question?" she asked, smiling awkwardly.

"Unfortunately, yes." he shook his head "If you were healing, we could bypass this frustration you know,"

"Not you too," she rolled her eyes "I'm thinking about it, okay? I just... I'm not ready," she snapped.

"No, no, it's okay, I'm sorry." he said, trying to calm her down "There's no pressure, I just know how miserable you are right now."

"No, I'm sorry I snapped at you," she sighed "I just don't want to open a door I don't know how to close."

"Well, how did we handle it the first time when you first evolved into this?" he asked thoughtfully.

"I..." she thought for a moment "I was pissed at humanity back then, and I think I let loose without a care when I first tasted blood." she slumped down, feeling guilty "So, that doesn't exactly help now."

"We'll think of something if you want to ease into it, but only when you're ready," he smiled "In the meantime, do you want something to drink?"

"Something fizzy," she stated, and he nodded.

"Sure thing," he smirked, but as he went for the door, he was promptly met by Honoraya who seemed distraught as she came in.

"Oh my god," she gasped as she saw the state Lilith was in "I am going to skin those Alliance bastards alive when I get my hands on them," she growled.

"Hey Raya," Lilith chuckled, glancing at Samael "You called her?"

"That I did," Samael stated, and Honoraya shot him a dirty look as she brushed her silver hair over her shoulder.

"Oh but not to tell me that my best friend nearly fucking died, but to ask for a goddamn favor," she grunted.

"I'm sorry, what?" Lilith asked in confusion, and Samael looked dumbfounded.

"I was also letting you know about the incident," he stated confidently.

"Uh-huh," she said skeptically "Well, on the subject of that, the authorities weren't able to catch the two men who escaped the scene, and the hotel is currently doing its best to protect Ada's identity since her room was clearly the one being targeted. The media is viewing it as an isolated attack and all sorts of conspiracies are starting to get tossed around." she explained.

"Lovely," Lilith stated sarcastically "You've clearly done your homework."

"Elijah is doing his best to keep up with new developments," she explained confidently.

"How has he been doing?" Samael asked, glancing down at her wedding ring.

"He's keeping busy," she stated "Aside from this attack, more incidents involving the Alliance are getting mentioned all over our world. His boss already hates them with a passion, but once he hears about this, I'm sure-"

"Wait, Elijah works for Dimitri Morozov, doesn't he?" Lilith asked curiously, and Honoraya shook her head.

"Yeah, why?" she answered, confused.

"He lives isolated from... well, everything. How does he of all people have a history with the Alliance?" Lilith asked worriedly.

"It's... not a pretty story, and it's not mine to tell." Honoraya sighed "But we can talk about that another time, for now, let's talk about you; why aren't you letting yourself heal when you know there's a simple answer for replenishing your energy?" she asked judgementally, and Lilith glared at her, then at Samael.