Chapter Sixty-Eight

"This just in, a sixth victim has been identified at the sight of the bombing in Salt Lake City. In light of recent events, their species has yet to be specified, but teams are working diligently to clear the building as we speak." The news-woman explained as the group sat and watched the TV in horror.

"It's been twenty-four hours," Aurelia gasped as she curled into a ball on the floor against the chair "How could they have planned something so fast?"

"I'm not surprised, hatred spreads like a disease, and if the Alliance hated us that bad..." Lapis sighed as she slumped back on the couch "I guess some people share their ideals too,"

"You don't think the Alliance is behind this, either?" Melanie asked as she tugged at the bandages around her wing.

"Would you leave that alone! It's never going to heal if you keep trying to take those off," Colette said worriedly as she smacked the back of Melanie's hand "Don't you wanna fly again?" she asked worriedly.

"It's itchy and annoying, you trying having one of your wings wrapped in-" Melanie suddenly froze as Colette backed off "I am so sorry," she apologized worriedly.

"It's fine," Colette sighed as she shook her head "I'm just glad yours can be fixed," she said as she forced a smile, and Melanie wrapped her arm around Colette's shoulders.

"Wait, guys, is that Lilith?" Lucinda asked as she squinted at the TV.

"What? Where?" Rena asked as she tried to scratch her toes through her cast.

"On the TV, going back into the building," Lucinda said as she saw a familiar girl with red hair and purple-ish wings "That's her! What's she doing there?"

"Damage control maybe?" Melanie suggested curiously "Yeah, cause there's Cyrus following behind her. If that's Salt Lake City, that must be the base he was working at."

"Holy shit," Lucinda said worriedly, suddenly coming to a realization "Oh my god, you don't think Alex was there too, do you?"

"God, no," Rena said reassuringly "He said Cyrus was taking him to Yellowstone, and I'm guessing he's not going anywhere in public for a while."

"That was one of the big discharge rules I overheard them telling Blaise before he left, we need to take public re-assimilation insanely slow." Colette explained nervously "Although now, I feel like that's going to be even harder."

"At least Raphael had somewhere to go," Lucinda stated "Did anyone hear what Rosette told them to get let out?" she asked, and everyone shook their heads.

"She has to have family somewhere, doesn't she?" Rena asked worriedly.

"She was disowned," Melanie stated bluntly "Although, considering she was held hostage and tortured for a few years, they might accept her back out of the goodness of their hearts."

"I don't know about you, but I'm not convinced," Colette stated bluntly "She was nice to us, but there's something going on there," she explained.

"Aura, you're being quiet. Are you okay?" Rena asked as she gently nudged her, and Aurelia nodded her head.

"I... I think I'm gonna go lay down," she sighed as she stood up, and Rena looked at the thin stitches holding her wing together "Sorry," she said quietly as she walked out.

"... is she doing okay? Cause she's seemed pretty off for the past few days." Colette asked quietly, and Rena shook her head.

"They did the surgery on her wings over a week ago, and the stitches aren't taking," Rena sighed, and Colette looked at her devastatedly.