Chapter Eleven

-1864, South Carolina-

"Make it stop!" Viola screamed, but the pain in her head and her back grew stronger with every second.

    "What's the matter?" Matthias asked worriedly as he quickly lit another candle, trying to get a better look at her.

    "My head," she screeched, clutching the sides of her head as blood suddenly started to ooze between her fingers, running down her arms and dripping onto the white bedsheets.

    "Viola...?" Matthias muttered, looking at her in horror as she hunched forward, and suddenly, he saw the bare skin on her back start to ripple "What the hell is this...?" he asked, and suddenly the skin began to tear apart, and he looked away, hearing the sounds of cracking bones and muffled screams as she shoved her face into the mattress.

    "I...I don't..." Viola cried, choking as she attempted to speak "What is happening to me?" she asked in terror, desperately looking at her lover as he uncovered his eyes. What he gazed upon was no longer what he desired, but what he had been taught to fear in church. He fell backward on the floor and started to crawl back as he stared at her new appearance.

    "...you're... you're a demon..." he muttered in horror.

    "What?" she said in a panic, sitting up and feeling her head, suddenly feeling her new horns and screaming in response.

    "Stay back!" Matthias shouted.

    "Wait, please!" she cried in terror as she arched her back, suddenly feeling her wings "I don't-"

    "Matthias?" an angry man suddenly started banging on the door, not hesitating before opening it to see the mess of blood on the sheets and the demon on the bed. Viola quickly grabbed the sheet and covered her bare chest in embarrassment.

    "Sir, I-" she tried to speak.

    "...devils," the man said angrily "Boy," he said in disappointment as he looked down at Matthias "I warned you what would happen if you snuck around before marriage and now look at what you've done! You've forsaken all of us,"

    "Father!" Matthias said defensively "I didn't mean-"

    "Not a word!" his father shouted angrily. He grabbed his son by the shoulder and pulled him to the hall, stepping in front of him and glaring at Viola "Send for Reverend Alexander, he should know what to do about this... thing you brought into your bed."

    "Mr. Caulson, please, I don't know what is happening," Viola pleaded desperately, but he down on her with cold eyes.

    "I've seen this before," he said sternly "Things like you prey on men and feed off their sins. You may seem innocent now, but it won't be long till you're a just killer like the rest of them." he explained, glancing back at his son, "I said get the reverend, what are you waiting for son?" he shouted, and Matthias quickly dashed down the hall.

    "Matthias, wait!" Viola screamed, starting to climb off of the bed, but the man stepped forward as if to block her "I would never hurt him, sir, you have to believe me, I... I didn't know-" she started to cry.

    "That's enough, monster," he growled at her. Viola was terrified of what she had become but more terrified of the judgment suddenly being cast on her over something she seemingly had no control over. Fearing what might be done, she knew she had to flee. Glancing around the room, she saw her dress draped over the chair in the corner. As she moved to try to get up, Mr. Caulson stepped closer in an attempt to stop her, but she wasn't going to stay put without a fight.