CHAPTER 8: HOPE

Her family made a decision to take her to America because Beauty has been in coma for so long.
Before that, Darlene went to see her for the first time as she was busy recovering and looking after CJ since no one else was there in his family.
Everything came back to her mind.

The accident occurred on their way to work.  A delivery truck moving at high speed appeared out of nowhere. In an attempt to avoid it, Beauty swerved but then their car got struck and all darkness followed.

When Darlene woke up everything was just a painful and confusing mess. The sound of sirens filled with loud cries rang through her ears along with burning oil smells wafting in the air. She wanted to move but could hardly do that due to the extent of damage inflicted on her body.

Beauty lying unconscious had blood oozing from her forehead while some debris was partially covering her body. And what’s more, there was CJ in front who was making deep breaths with much struggle indicating serious injuries.

"Tulong!" Darlene shouted, forcing herself not to lose consciousness.

It has been a month since the incident. CJ is still in the hospital recovering from his injuries. Darlene visited the hospital to bid farewell to Beauty before she was taken to America, even though she had been  released.

"Beshtie!" Darlene whispered as she sat beside Beaxyn's bed. "Hindi ko makakalimutan ang araw na 'yon. Hindi ko matanggap na hindi kita nailigtas. Kung puwede ko lang sanang ibalik ang oras..."

Every memory of the accident came back to her, but even so, she knew she had to be strong—not just for herself, but for CJ, and most importantly, for Beauty.

“Don't give up, okay?” she continued.

“Lalaban tayo hanggang sa huli. Pagdating mo sa Amerika, gagawin nila ang lahat para magising at gumaling ka. I promise you, magkakasama pa rin tayo sa mga susunod na araw, buwan, or maybe...taon.Hihintayin ko ang pagbabalik mo”

"Siya nga pala, hindi ko pa nasabi kay CJ ang kalagayan mo, ayo'ko kasing mag-alala s'ya. I know ikaw ang type niya pero beshtie, matagal ko na s'yang gusto. Secret lang natin 'yan ah, wag kang maingay, kundi magagalit ako sa'yo." She added, and then Doren arrived.

Meanwhile, Apy was approaching the prison where the driver of that delivery truck had been being held. As he went into his cell, Apy’s face bore seriousness and fury.

When he reached the driver, he halted. Only Apy’s footsteps could be heard in the quiet room.

"Hayop ka!" he began coldly. “Do you know what you did to my daughter?”

The man couldn't answer, his eyes were red and he looked terrified.

“You almost killed my daughter dahil sa kapabayaan mo!” Apy continued, his voice rising. “How could you drive drunk?!”

He lunged at the man, grabbed him by the collar, and pushed him against the wall.  “Hindi mo alam ang sakit na nararamdaman ko araw-araw habang nakikita kong nakahiga ang anak ko sa hospital na walang malay, dahil sa'yo!”

Apy pushed the man hard before backing away, the anger and hatred in his eyes didn't fade. "Gusto kong mabulok ka dito. Kahit anong mangyari, hinding-hindi kita mapapatawad. Tandaan mo 'yan."

Apy left the prison, carrying the weight of his emotions, but he knew that all the anger and revenge wouldn't bring his family back to normal. The only thing he could do now was pray that, despite everything, Beauty would wake up and bring light back into their lives.

One sad morning...

Viballer family arrived at the airport. The America-bound plane was just ready, and everything was in place for the long journey ahead. Beauty lay unconscious on a stretcher as if she were asleep, only being peaceful; paramedics transported her to the private jet.

Apy had his daughter Blezy with him and wife Doren, who was trying hard to hold back her tears. Their daughter who did not look like she would wake up anytime soon was still unconscious on the stretcher and it showed on their faces that they were worried and sad because of her.

"Beauty, you'll get better," Apy whispered while adjusting Beauty's blanket. "We won't stop until you recover."

Doren merely nodded because she did not want herself to be weak for her family. Yet somewhere inside the woman, there was hope remaining that one day Beauty would finally come out from this situation and they would live together again.

Before getting into the plane Apy glanced around for one more time as if trying to remember all they had done during their lifetime journey thus far. “This is not where our story ends, anak,” he whispered under his breath. “In America we will try everything possible to wake you up, nandito lang kami for you, anak.”

With love and hope for Beauty, the Viballer family silently prayed as the airplane took off to America.

After the long and exhausting journey, the Viballer family finally arrived in America. Their first stop was Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota; it is a medical institution well known to all corners of the globe and has top-notch physicians with cutting-edge treatment techniques who work there. The Mayo Clinic is often regarded as the premier acute care hospital in the United States specifically for complex medical conditions such as coma care. It boasts best-in-class neurology and critical care approaches, state-of-the-art infrastructure, and world-class specialists as well. Hence, they had no doubt that Beauty would be okay this time round.

Upon arrival at the hospital, Beauty was quickly transferred to a private room that was ready for her. The environment was clean and quiet, and all the equipment seemed prepared for long-term treatment. Doctors and nurses were around, ready to take care of her.

Apy watchfully followed their every move while they adjusted the machinery and made sure that Beauty felt good enough. He went over to one of the senior doctors in that hospital

"Mr. Viballer, this is Dr. Wishton Adams, our best neurologist here at Mayo Clinic," said the medical director, introducing the bald doctor in his 40s to Mr. Viballer.

Dr. Adams and the Viballer family shook hands.

“We will do everything we can for your daughter, Mr. Viballer,” the doctor assured. “Her condition is serious, but we won’t stop until we’ve tried every possible way to heal her.”

“Thank you very much, Doc,” Apy replied, his voice mixed with hope and concern. “We’ll hold on to any hope you can give us.”

The doctor agreed and began conducting preliminary assessments of Beauty. Doren stayed by Beauty's side, watching her daughter as if she were just sleeping. In some way, the weight she felt was lifted, knowing that Beauty was in good hands.