and we won

You watch with hesitation as Manolo leaps up onto the next float; a giant tiered cake decorated with marigolds. You give Luis Sanchez a goodbye wave, before turning towards Manolo. Eagerly, he turns around and holds his arms out to you, gesturing for your hands with a cheeky smile. Quickly, you place your hands into his, allowing him to easily tug you onto the float.

The sight of various people happily dancing around makes your heart feel warm, as both you and Manolo eagerly climb up the pale yellow ladders of the float. You carefully eye Manolo's smile as it begins to grow, until he finally reaches to the very top of the cake tier. You quietly climb up behind him, spotting a short woman with a stripe of white in her hair.

She pauses her dance, clasping her nimble hands to her chest in a moment of enlightenment. You watch as she turns around in her place, muttering her son's name under her breath. Manolo grins big and wide, uttering the words, "mamá" for what feels like the first time in years. Carmen gasps with pure joy, the two hastily running towards each other.

Taking a step aside, you politely watch the two meet in the middle, tightly embracing each other after years of separation. It's a beautiful sight to see, marigold petals fluttering through the air while the entire float comes to a silent stop.

A part of you feels slightly jealous at the sight, thinking back to your somewhat neglectful parents. They probably don't even know you're dead right now.

"I missed you, so much." Manolo cries, holding his mother's hands.

Carmen sighs. "Ay mijo. It's been like a hole in my heart, I've waited so long for you... But, not long enough!" Carmen lightly pushes at her son, her arms splayed out in disbelief. "What are you doing here?"

She then pauses mid-speak, noticing you standing far behind Manolo's shoulder, with your hands clasped together. Carmen gently gasps, her hand coming up to her mouth.

"I'm just here to follow... the love of my life." Manolo says with a quieter voice, turning around to meet eyes with you. You don't hear what he says. You simply smile at how purely he gazes at you.

The two unlink hands, Manolo beckoning you over to him while Carmen smiles in awe. You nervously step over to the two Sanchez's, unknowing on whether to bow, shake hands, or provide hugs. Carmen's smile only seems to widen within the seconds you take to come closer. She looks almost as you remember in your childhood; warm and beautiful.

"It's nice to meet you again, Sra. Sanchez." You shyly say, meeting her gaze with a gentle nod. There's a moment of silence that makes you sweat; you can't tell if her smile is genuine, or for show. Your insecurities instantly melt away when she swallows you up into a firm hug, squeezing you until you feel like your ribs would pop. Hesitantly, you match her embrace, Manolo watching with an overjoyed smile.

"I remember you! You're the little girl that Manolo used to play with... with Joaquin and Maria, right?" She asks, and you nod. After a moment, Carmen releases you from the embrace, joining hands to take a good look at you.

Manolo slides over to place a hand on your back. Carmen eyes the interaction.

"So, have you two married in the Land of the Living yet?" Carmen asks, and the both of your eyes widen in shock.

"Oh, no! We only re-met a day ago." You state.

It's Carmen's turn to widen her eyes, raising her eyebrow towards her son. "My son, always rushing into things... I thought you two always spent your days together in San Angel?"

You shake your head. "No. General Posada forced me and Maria to study abroad in Europe. At the Perpetual Flame of Purity."

Carmen abruptly rolls her eyes at the thought of the General, 'tsk'ing.