Ch14 Shattered bond

[2008]

Today marked the court sentencing, a depressive day that was aggravated by the crushing uncertainty deepening the fear that surrounded Dahlia. Beyond this still, there seemed to be another layer of sadness in this morning finally the little girl will get to see her mother since she turned her away during the last hospital visit with her grandmother.

The memory of her mother's rejection burned in her heart, a sad reminder of just how fragile their connection had become.

Days ago when her mother finally woke up after what felt like an eternity of being in a coma, a call from the hospital informed them that Nari regained her consciousness and with overjoyous hearts and tears of relief, Soyeon and Dahlia made their way to see her, a moment that should have glowed with warmth and love but it shattered into a living nightmare.

The moment Dahlia's eyes landed on her mother, something had changed, an invisible wall collapsed between them, a wall that was built on anger and pain.
During that instance Nari's gaze turned into pure rage, that Firestorm of mixed emotions, Dahlia had never experienced before.

Nari's body felt like if she was struck by lightning, frozen in her spot as she screamed opening her mouth widely, wrinkles etched deep in her features, her eyes burned with a fierce hatred, despite her weak body she seemed ready to lunge at her daughter only her amputated legs held her back, her fierce words cut deep inside Dahlia's heart, leaving her so exposed and vulnerable, while she suffocated in her mother's biting insults, she could hear her grandmother's urgent voice asking her to step outside the room.

Dahlia escaped her mother's sharp cursing and found herself in the same cold hallway where she witnessed Hyun-ji and his father meltdown days ago, while waiting for the storm to pass she could hear her mother crying screams bouncing off the walls.

"IT'S BECAUSE OF HEEER!!. IT'S BECAUSE OF HER!!.THAT BITCH....SHE...."

Each word was like a blade aiming her fragile heart, the voice that was once so soothing and familiar is now twisted with hatred that will haunt her forever. this time Dahlia had felt an overwhelming anxiety that brought with it shame.

When the visit was finally over, Soyeon walked out of the room, her face reflected disappointment and sorrow the piercing look she gave Dahlia was as piercing as her mother's insults, a silent awareness of the wall that had formed not just between her and her mother but now also threatening her bond with her granny.

In the days that followed, Dahlia could feel the frustration of her grandmother, the silent treatment she gave her was another weight on her already broken spirit, the little girl was left alone to battle with the demons inside her head and she knew, this was just the beginning of a long painful hell.

✧⁠✧⁠✧⁠✧⁠✧⁠✧⁠✧⁠✧⁠✧⁠✧⁠✧⁠✧⁠✧⁠✧⁠✧⁠✧⁠✧⁠✧⁠✧⁠✧

With heavy hearts Dahlia and her grandmother Soyeon, approached the courthouse. Soyeon's appearance was frazzled and chaotic, her hair was messy, her umatched clothes looked hastily thrown on, it was clear she had thrown on the first things that came to her hands in a moment of urgency, the anxiety etching on her face only deepened Dahlia's concern.

As Soyeon quickened her pace leaving her granddaughter behind, the little girl struggled to keep up, the painful feeling of the bruises from her recent accident that had suddenly shifted their lives into this unsettling new reality still fresh in her body.
With every hurried step, Dahlia felt her heart pounding in her chest like a drum, each beat sending an icy fear through her stomach, the thought of seeing her mother again and hearing her screaming filled her with dread.