Ch13 Trauma

[2008]

His entire body was soaked in sweat from head to toe while he's sleeping, drowning to the core of the depths of his nightmares, the haunting picture of his deceased mother lying lifeless on the street was still vividly fresh in his mind causing him tossing and moving.

"M..mo..m..." he mumbled with a face contorted in fear, the agonizing nightmare overtook him.

Until he finally came back to his senses with a frightful gasp, he rubbed his face roughly, his eyes flashing across the room, panic laced them.
Just beside him, Dahlia was standing gazing at him intently during his unconscious sleep, sucking on a red heart shaped lollipop that he had carelessly thrown on the floor earlier. He looked at her, his face a picture of confusion, then he abruptly reached out gripping her hard by the shoulder, his eyeballs bulging like if they might just pop out from the shock of the moment.

He desperately tried to make sense of the situation, the nurse's words are still lingering in his mind with overwhelming intensity.

She died, He couldn't tell whether it was reality or just a sickening nightmare, he let go of Dahlia's shoulder and rushed looking for his mother, his steps unsteady and the sound of his heart pounding in his ears.

His feets led him to the hallway, to find his father Sang-woo, sitting with his face buried in his hands.

"Dad?" he uttered, his entire body shaking.

The broken father turned to face his son, his eyes red and swimming with tears.

"Hyun....ji." his voice thick with sadness.

This is the first time Hyun-ji has seen his father in such a devastated state, his father is usually filled with confidence and optimism during all circumstances but in this moment, the little boy understood that his mother was no longer alive.

Hyun-ji approached his father with trembling steps. "Mom, I... I want..."

Sang-woo stood up and slowly made his way towards his son, his face contorted with sorrow, with a quivered voice he spoke.
"I'm... sorry."

Hyun-ji broke down, his vision blurred by the tears filling his eyes, lamenting loudly, his cries echoed further through the hallway, the father wrapped his arms around his son as tight as he could, with a comforting embrace.

"I'm sorry son." his voice trembling while they both cried helplessly, their hearts torn apart by the grievous loss.

Just few hours before, the little boy's biggest concern was deciding what kind of cake flavor he wanted for his birthday, but unfortunately the day that was supposed to be a cheerful celebration with his mother has transformed in a twisted way into the worst day of his life, a day he would never forget!

Dahlia stood there in silence, watching them, But her solitude was shattered when the nurse approached her. "Your grandmother is here."

The nurse led Dahlia to her grandmother Soyeon, as she followed the nurse, Relief washed over her knowing that her lovely grandma is finally here and she will get to hug her and complain about her pain, however the little girl panicked a little bit cause she was totally aware that the accident happened because of her own recklessness, Dahlia was afraid that she will get punished by her granny.