Chapter 16

"What did you want to talk about?" Y/n followed Seungcheol as he was leading the way into their room.

"I'm not sure how to start," he closed the door.

And frankly, he really didn't know how to start. How does anyone start a conversation like this? It's not like you can just ask, 'Are you with the enemy?'

"Well, I'm just suspecting that we might be in danger, and so I want to prepare you for what's coming." Was he trying to trick her into a trap?

"Danger? What are you talking about?" She further questioned.

There was no way he knew that the team leader was alive, right?

"Well, there was this guy who was an informer, and he got caught. They were originally going to kill him, but he survived. Or, more correctly, he got saved by his teammates." Oh.

"And he got caught at a very interesting time and so were the things he's said before cutting contact with us. I suspect he might be on his way here to attack us because we outed him. At least, that's what he thinks." Seungcheol knew that it was now or never. He either had to go for it and risk losing her or go for it and save the team.

It was a 50/50 chance.

"Mhm, okay, so do we need to escape?" She tried to act clueless.

"Please, Ling, stop. It all makes too much sense, and before you attack me, I want you to hear me out." Y/n waited patiently. Her palms started sweating, and her stomach curled.

"After I told you about a spy, he got caught that same night. And you know what he told me before he got caught? He had sent me a message, it read, 'I am in danger, I might lose my life tonight. It is all your fault. Know that the people around you aren't to be trusted. You will regret this.' And I trust the members with my life, but you?" He inched closed, scrunching his face.

"Sometimes I think, do I even know her? Is she trustworthy? And the timings of things happening and the fact that you freeze or tense up every time you hear Ms. Jeon's name, it's all too much."

She knew what was coming, and she didn't want to deny or lie anymore. She wanted to tell him the truth. She wanted to tell everyone the truth and then run away. All she's ever done is follow orders. She's never made her own choice. She wanted to follow her heart this time and let it all out, but she knew the risks.

"Ling, I am going to ask you this, and please, I pray and beg you to answer me truthfully."

They were both hurting, and they both knew it. The pain in their eyes could be recognized from miles away, and the bittersweet tension could be felt from miles away.

"Can I really trust you?" He asked, scared to hear Y/ns answer as he knew it wouldn't please him as much as he had wished for.

Y/n cleared her throat and stood up straight. It was time for Wang Ling, the private nanny, to perish, now it was time for Kim Y/n, the secret spy, to take over.

She knew this would come, and a mission is a mission. She knew better than to mix personal feelings with work.

"As a matter of fact," she started, "no." She answered firmly.

"Choi Seungcheol, I tried to dread this moment as much as possible, but it seems like my efforts were simply not enough. You can not trust me. If you wish to trust me, then it is at your own risk, but I can not promise anything."

It broke her heart. It broke his heart as well. They were both in agony.

As the tension continued to rise, the silence crept onto the room. All that could be heard was the beats of their aching hearts.