- 10

"Everything is going according to plan. Don't worry, I'll keep Cielle distracted."

Pauleen stirred her coffee while her fingers trembling slightly. She hated herself for involving Lucian in her sister's personal life, but she couldn't stand the idea of Cielle falling for someone like Koen. The age gap doesn't seem pleasing to the eyes especially with their family's upbringing — too complicated, and their family had made it clear that he was not the right match for her.

"Thank you," Pauleen replied, her heart heavy with guilt.

Lucian had been more than willing to help. After all, he finds Cielle pretty too. It wasn't difficult for him to play the part of the charming young suitor, someone more "appropriate" in their parents' eyes. And so far, it had been working. Cielle seemed to be drifting away from Koen.

But as Pauleen stared by the window, watching the rain pour outside, a sense of unease crept in. She had orchestrated this to protect her sister, to steer her toward a future that would be safe, stable, and respected by their family. But had she gone too far?

On the other hand, Lucian sat across from Pauleen in a quiet café, swirling the coffee in his cup without taking a sip. It was unlike him to feel restless, but today, something about this meeting made him uneasy. Pauleen had called him out of the blue, requesting they meet in private, and now, as she sat across from him, there was a tension in the air he couldn't quite place.

Pauleen's expression was calm but firm as she finally spoke. "Lucian, I think Cielle finally realized some things... I need to ask you to stop."

Lucian raised a brow, feigning confusion. "Stop what?"

Pauleen sighed softly, leaning in. "Whatever you're doing with Cielle. I know you've been spending more time with her, and she's young, Lucian. I'm worried she might fall for you, knowing this was just a setup."

Lucian's jaw tightened. He hadn't expected this conversation. Cielle had seemed vulnerable, and he had promised her comfort—nothing more. Or had he?

"I'm not doing anything," Lucian replied, his voice steady, though he felt a strange pang in his chest.

"I'm not saying it's intentional," Pauleen continued. "But Cielle has been through a lot lately. Koen, her studies... she's fragile right now. If you keep getting closer to her, she might mistake your attention for something else. And I don't want her to get hurt."

Lucian nodded slowly, his fingers tightening around his cup. He understood what Pauleen was saying—he knew it logically. But a part of him resisted the idea of stepping back. The time he spent with Cielle had become more than just a distraction. It was something he looked forward to.

Pauleen studied him for a moment, her eyes narrowing slightly. "Wait," she said slowly. "Do you... do you actually like her?"

Lucian froze. His mind raced, scrambling for a denial, but his heart betrayed him. He could feel it—something deeper than just amusement or curiosity. He opened his mouth to respond, but nothing came out.

"No," he finally said, shaking his head. "It's not like that."

But Pauleen was no fool. Her gaze flickered with suspicion, and she leaned back in her chair, folding her arms. "You might want to check your expression next time you try to lie, Lucian."

Lucian looked away, but he couldn't hide the conflicted look in his eyes. He wasn't sure what he was feeling, but the fact that he couldn't easily dismiss it unsettled him. For the first time, he questioned whether his involvement with Cielle had gone further than he'd intended.