- 11

As Lucian and Cielle exchanged a few more words, Lucian tried to offer reassurance, but Cielle's pain was evident in her tear-filled eyes. He was about to suggest taking her somewhere to talk when he noticed Koen's car slowly pulling away from the building.

Just then, Pauleen emerged from the building, her sharp eyes immediately catching sight of her younger sister's distress. Without hesitation, she rushed over to Cielle. The moment Pauleen reached her, she enveloped Cielle in a comforting hug, her arms wrapping around her sister with a protective urgency.

Cielle clung to Pauleen, her sobs muffled by her sister's embrace. Pauleen's heart ached for her sister, and she whispered soothing words, trying to offer whatever comfort she could.

Seeing the scene unfold, Lucian felt a pang of awkwardness. He realized this was a moment for family, and he decided to give them some privacy.

"I'll leave you two to talk," Lucian said gently, stepping back.

Pauleen nodded, giving Lucian a grateful but pained look. "Thank you, Lucian."

Lucian, his mind racing, hurriedly made his way to his car, the urgency in his steps betraying his calm facade. The evening air was crisp as he jumped into the driver's seat, starting the engine with a roar that cut through the quiet. Without wasting a second, he sped off in the direction Koen had gone.

As he drove, he scanned the road ahead, hoping to catch sight of Koen's car. The city lights flashed by in a blur, adding to the tension that crackled in the air. Lucian's thoughts were a whirlwind—Cielle's tear-streaked face, Pauleen's worried embrace, and the heavy silence that had settled around them.

Suddenly, through the maze of traffic and neon signs, Lucian spotted Koen's car up ahead. It was a few cars in front, moving at a steady pace. Lucian's grip tightened on the steering wheel, his determination sharpened. He maneuvered his car deftly, weaving through the lanes to close the gap.

Koen, absorbed in his own thoughts, didn't initially notice Lucian trailing behind. He was lost in the turmoil of his emotions—his anger, jealousy, and the crushing weight of his decision. His hands gripped the steering wheel, and his jaw was clenched in frustration.

However, as he approached a red light, Koen's peripheral vision caught the flash of headlights in his rearview mirror. He glanced back and recognized Lucian's car, the familiar silhouette unmistakable even from a distance. A surge of irritation mixed with surprise shot through him.

"Damn it," Koen muttered under his breath. He increased his speed slightly, hoping to lose Lucian in the traffic. But Lucian was relentless, his focus never wavering.

The light turned green, and Koen surged forward, trying to distance himself from his pursuer. Lucian, however, matched his speed, staying close behind. The two cars wove through the city streets, their tires screeching slightly as they took sharp turns. The chase turned into a high-stakes game of cat and mouse.

Koen's frustration mounted. He cursed under his breath, glaring at Lucian's persistent headlights in his rearview mirror. The chase continued, both cars darting through the cityscape, their drivers locked in a silent confrontation.

Eventually, Koen, realizing that losing Lucian was becoming increasingly difficult, made a decision. He found a spot to pull over, the street lights casting long shadows as he parked the car. He leaned against the hood, waiting for Lucian to catch up.

Moments later, Lucian's car skidded to a halt behind Koen's. Lucian stepped out, his expression a mix of urgency and determination. He approached Koen, who was leaning against his car, visibly tense.

"Koen!" Lucian called out, his voice cutting through the night air. "We need to talk."

Koen scoffed, his voice dripping with sarcasm. "Talk? About what, Lucian? How you've been cozying up to Cielle, acting like the concerned friend while driving a wedge between us? Or maybe about how you've suddenly decided you care?"