132B

"Put me down, you superhero!"

she slurred, her laughter echoing in the dimly lit parking lot.

"I can walk! I swear I can!"

Ayo chuckled despite the situation, his heart aching at how far they'd drifted.

"You might be able to walk, but you definitely can't stand right now."

As he reached the passenger side, he carefully placed her in the seat and buckled her in, feeling a renewed determination to protect her from whatever storm was looming on the horizon. Once he settled in the driver's seat, he turned to her, his expression serious.

"Nefertiti, you need to talk to me. We can't keep going like this. I—"

"I know,"

she interrupted softly, her hazy eyes finally meeting his.

" but you don't understand. It's just... everything feels wrong. I trusted you, Ayo. I thought we were a team."

Her voice cracked slightly,and his heart sank further.

"I'm sorry,"

he said earnestly, wishing he could convey the full weight of his regret.

"I should have stepped up. I let the whispers and doubts get to me. I should have believed in you... in us."

"You know what hurts the most?"

she asked, her voice tinged with bitterness and sadness.

"It's that I wanted your love to save me. I thought that you'd always have my back, but the moment things got hard, you turned away."

He cringed at her words, each one a dagger stabbing at his conscience. This was the moment that could either pull them together or tear them apart permanently.

"I'm here now, though. I'm not leaving again. We can figure this out; I'll do whatever it takes. Just don't shut me out, please."

Nefertiti looked down at her hands, fiddling with the hem of her shirt.

"You say that now, but what if it gets too hard again? What if I'm not worth the fight?"

"Don't say that,"

Ayo urged, leaning closer to her, desperate to make her understand.

"You're everything to me. Don't you see that? I wouldn't have come for you if I didn't care. And believe me when I say I'm not going anywhere this time. I want to be the husband you deserve."

A single tear coursed down her cheek, and she turned her face away, pretending to find interest in the dimly lit street outside.

"You're saying all the right things, but I'm so tired, Ayo. I'm tired of fighting for something that feels so broken."

"Then let me help you carry that load. We can embrace the messiness together. It doesn't have to be perfect, but we need to meet each other halfway,"

he replied, matching the intensity in her gaze. The silence that followed felt heavy, laden with emotions that had been pushed aside for too long. Nefertiti took a deep breath, clearly contemplating her next words, her vulnerability laid bare for him to see.

"Okay, I'll try but you have to promise me that if I stumble, if I need you, even when it's ugly, you'll be there,"

she whispered, her voice fragile yet filled with a flicker of hope.

"I promise,"

Ayo said resolutely, clasping her hand between his.

"We're in this together. You're my wife. I can't imagine doing life without you."

As Ayo cranked the engine and headed home, he felt a renewed sense of purpose. He wouldn't let the love they had slip away.

" I found out earlier today that Sophia and Malaika were involved in this mess."

She said wiping her tears.

" Did you know about this?"

He could see the hurt in her eyes, and he wanted nothing more than to shield her from the fallout, but he also knew that lies crafted from silence could poison the foundation they were trying to rebuild.

"Not fully,Jay and Chris told me."

he admitted cautiously, his voice steady yet gentle. Nefertiti's distress was palpable, and Ayo could hardly bear to watch the pain etched on her face.

" My own sisters

she said, her voice quaking with emotion.
Ayo nodded, squeezing her hand tighter as they hit a red light. He turned to look at her, wanting to reassure her with his gaze.

"You can't control what they choose to believe or spread. All that matters is us, and you've got to focus on your truth, not their lies."

" but what if the world doesn't see it that way?" she countered, the tremor in her voice betraying her confidence. "What if they never know the real me?"

"They will,"

Ayo said firmly, his determination illuminated in his tone.

"You might feel vulnerable right now, but you're stronger than you think, and the truth has a way of surfacing. We just need to navigate this mess together."

As they continued driving, a serene silence enveloped them, allowing her to absorb his words. Nefertiti looked out the window, her reflection a conflicting mixture of sorrow and resilience.

"I wish I could just forget it all, you know?"

she whispered, her voice barely a murmur.

"It's suffocating."

"You don't have to forget, but you can find a way to let it go,"

Ayo suggested, his heart aching with empathy.

"Let's take it one step at a time. We can tackle what's in front of us instead of drowning in what might happen next."

Nefertiti turned to him, searching his face for something—reassurance, perhaps.

" what if I can't?"

"Then I'll be right beside you, reminding you of your worth when you forget,"

he promised.

"You're my priority, and I will fight for you no matter what."

As they pulled into their driveway, Ayo felt a flicker of hope ignite within him. He wanted nothing more than to help her reclaim her identity from the shadows cast by whispers and betrayal. They were a team, and they would find their way back to each other, piece by piece. Stepping out of the car, he quickly rounded the side to open her door, and Nefertiti looked up at him, a mixture of uncertainty and gratitude in her eyes.

"Thank you for being here,"

she whispered, taking his hand as they walked towards the front door.

"I'll always be here,"