30:

A wealthy young man recently came to Anping County.

This young man is tall and handsome, and he looks wealthy yet low-key. But if you look closely, the things hanging around his waist and in his hands are not cheap. Some of them have never been seen in this small county town.

No one knew where this young man came from or why he came to Anping County. He usually walked on the streets, and his favorite places to go were jewelry shops and silk and cloth shops, as well as teahouses and snack shops. He was also quite generous, spending a few taels of silver every once in a while - don't think a few taels of silver is too little, farmers are more frugal and only spend a few taels of silver a year!

Many families secretly inquired about the origins of this young man, with all kinds of intentions: some were just curious and liked to pry into other people's affairs; some saw that he was rich and handsome and wanted to inquire about his marriage; some had bad intentions and wanted to make friends with him and get some money to spend...

But this young man has a bad temper and doesn't like to talk to people. Even if it's a silk shop he often goes to, if the clerk asks a few more questions, he will immediately lose face, and walk out without buying the things he has chosen. After a few quarrels, who dares to touch the master's reverse scale? That would be like pushing the God of Wealth away!

But recently, I heard that this young man asked a pawnbroker to buy a shop and a property, and it seems that he is going to settle down in Anping County. The familiar shop owners are so happy that they would wake up laughing in their dreams: since this young man came to Anping County, his business has been much better than before. Who doesn't want the God of Wealth to live near their home?

At this time, Shen Qing, the wealthy young man, was standing in the lobby of Ruyi Pavilion. Apparently he was looking at the jewelry on the counter, but in fact he was listening to the clerk and the shopkeeper introducing the newly-arrived agate, white jade and jadeite to a wealthy lady. It was said that they were choosing a decent piece of jewelry as a dowry for their daughter who was about to get married.

Shen Qing is very busy now. He has to go to the end of the world and come to the county town frequently. He is as busy as when he was chopping wood. He often visits these jewelry shops and walks on the streets. His biggest purpose is to gain experience!

Shen Qing couldn't tell what the jewelry he got from the end of the world was, except for gold, silver and pearls. He couldn't tell what the jewelry looked like jade. Even if he wanted to sell it, he would be easily cheated. If he couldn't exchange it for money, what was the difference between piling up those jewelry at home and a pile of stones? Now, after hanging around in these shops for quite a while, he could barely tell one or two apart, so he wasn't blind.

More importantly, he gradually learned how to talk to these guys by observing other wealthy customers on the street:

The shopkeeper took out several items. The rich lady looked at them and was obviously not satisfied with any of them. Shen Qing took off a pendant from her waist and said, "Shopkeeper, can you help me take a look at this one?"

Shen Qing often came to this shop and bought two silver hairpins. The shopkeeper treated him as a distinguished and familiar customer, and thought he was just showing his things to everyone. When he took the pendant, he felt it was very valuable: I wonder what kind of skilled craftsman could achieve such a sophisticated polishing technique? Looking at the material, it turned out to be a piece of agate with a clean texture and bright color!

In ancient times, agate was extremely valuable, and those who wore it were either rich or noble. There were only two pieces in this shop, and the quality was not very good. It was extremely rare in this small county town.

Because agate is very hard, it was extremely difficult to mine in ancient times. But it is different in modern times. Since the 19th century, a certain country has used blasting technology to mine agate.

The value dropped overnight, and it became a very common jewelry material. And Shen Qing's pendant was not even given to him by Song Kaiji, but was picked up in a souvenir shop in the amusement park.

"Young master, this agate Ruyi lock with auspicious cloud pattern is so exquisite. All the goods I have combined are not as valuable as this!" The shopkeeper sighed sincerely. The rich lady had been looking at the Ruyi lock with bright eyes, and was ready to try it. But when she heard the shopkeeper say, "All the goods I have combined are not as valuable as this," she quickly withdrew her gaze.

Shen Qing: ...

He needed to maintain his image, so of course he couldn't rush to find that lady to sell things. As a result, it was another day when he failed to take advantage of the situation to sell his things.

But at least he knew that this Ruyi lock was very valuable, so it wasn't a complete loss. He had several such Ruyi locks at home...

Seeing that there was no hope of selling the goods, Shen Qing walked around the store for a while, then left the store and went to the snack shop next door. The shopkeeper and the clerk were not surprised, and even thought it was no wonder that the young man had only bought two silver hairpins before. With such high-quality agate on him, how could he look down on these vulgar things in the store!

Shen Qing bought a box of snacks, went to the meat shop to cut a few pieces of braised meat, and walked out of the city gate leisurely. When he reached a deserted grove, he took off his outer straight clothes, revealing the clothes of a farmer. He then pulled out a square cloth towel from his waist, wrapped the straight clothes inside to make a bundle, and finally wiped off the blemish between his eyebrows: in an instant, he changed from a young master of a rich family to a farmer carrying a bundle as if he was going to visit relatives.

He had become quite skilled at disguising himself like this every day, and he kept walking back to Lantang Village. Miao had already cooked the meal, and was not surprised to see Shen Qing bringing back snacks and braised meat.

Now it has been only half a month since Shen Qing went to the end of the world for the first time. Perhaps because the family has become richer, Miao has become visibly plumper, and even her skin and hair seem to have improved. With brightly colored, half-new clothes, she looks even more radiant. But now she no longer has to worry about her livelihood, but she has something else to worry about: "Your uncle sent someone to ask, didn't we say we were going to the dock to sell some food? We also brought back a lot of cabbage and radishes. How come some people from Shiqu Village went to the dock to work, but we were not seen? Did we do business?" Miao put the braised meat she bought on a plate, and served a plate of freshly fried leek and eggs, and placed it on the table: "What do you think we should say to this?"

Business was done, but not in this world. In the past half month, Shen Qing went to the apocalypse almost every other day, and exchanged a lot of gold, silver and jewelry with Song Kaiji, all hidden at home. Now Miao didn't dare to invite the sisters to come to the house to do work, for fear of revealing something.

"I'll go to his house in a couple of days to talk to him. I have something important to do." Shen Qing picked up an egg with chopsticks. Being poor has its own pain, but having money but having to pretend to be poor and not being able to spend it openly is also very painful! In just one month, Shen Qing was intertwined with these kinds of pains, and finally figured it out: he had to have a name, a serious job, so that the money would not seem out of place.

If he were a modern person, he would know what "money laundering" means. But he was just a farmer, and it was not easy for him to come up with this idea: "I have found some clues about what I asked Brother Song to find out for me."

That day he asked Song Kaiji if he was willing to move to another place to live. Although Song Kaiji rejected him at that time, the relationship between the two of them became much closer later, so that now in front of Miao, Song Kaiji has changed from "that person" to "Brother Song".