26

This pawnshop has always been the most impressive of all the businesses. In other businesses, even if the goods are hard to sell, the buyers will be greeted with a smile. But this pawnshop is the opposite: the customers who come to pawn their goods beg the pawnshop to give them a fair price, which naturally makes them look down on themselves.

The guys in the store were fine, but the gentleman sitting behind the counter was the one with the biggest airs. He acted as if he didn't care and was dispensable, and then he severely devalued the items so that he could get the price down easily.

Shen Qing had come to the pawnshop with his mother once before: a few years ago, Mr. Shen had a serious illness, which almost drained out all the family savings. At that time, the crops in the fields had not yet been harvested, but they were in urgent need of money, so they had to borrow from all their relatives and friends, but it was still not enough.

Old Lady Shen decided to pawn two quilts to exchange for money to buy medicine. She was reluctant to use her two sons, so she asked Shen Qing to carry the load and follow her into the city.

Shen Qing saw with his own eyes how the old lady Shen, who used to show off at home, became timid in front of the gentleman at the counter at the pawnshop. The gentleman also belittled the two quilts that were made of solid materials and looked like new, and finally only gave them half of the price that old lady Shen had expected.

But this time Shen Qing pawned silver jewelry, which, unlike quilts and household items, did not have an exact standard for measuring prices. No matter what, the price offered by the pawnshop could not be lower than the value of the silver itself, so how much lower could it be?

Little did he know that the gentleman at the counter was not even going to pay him the price in silver!

The old man looked at Shen Qing with sidelong eyes, and then carefully examined the three pieces of jewelry on the tray. An idea came to his mind: in addition to the poor people who could not make ends meet and needed to pawn their items frequently, there was another type of people who were frequent customers of the pawnshop, and that was thieves.

There is no need to talk about some big thieves who have their own skills. Let's just talk about those small thieves who have no connections. They stole things from rich families. They have no background and no market, so they can only come to the pawnshop to pawn them. Otherwise, if they sell them easily in the market and are found out by the owner or the government, it will be a big deal.

These pawnshops often have some powerful connections behind them. Not only can they not appease the government, but they can also transport the stolen goods far away to other places, making it difficult for the government to track them down.

However, for items of unknown origin, the pawnshop will severely lower the price, and it would be considered a lot if they can give 20% to 30% of the original price of the goods.

The three pieces of silver jewelry that Shen Qing brought, though not very heavy, were exquisitely designed and looked very new. They did not look like items that a poor man like Shen Qing could wear, nor did they look like old items handed down from his family. The pawnshop owner naturally guessed that they were not obtained through legitimate means - in a sense, he was not wrong. These things were indeed not obtained by Shen Qing through "normal" means. If it were not for the special opportunity brought by the magical cave, Shen Qing's family would not have been able to obtain such good things.

This is the ruthless vision of the old man in the pawnshop. Looking at Shen Qing's appearance, he seems to be a boy from a poor family, not like the habitual thieves on the street. Maybe he just did such a thing in a moment of confusion. The pawnshop owner took a higher attitude - it's not that he didn't intend to take the stolen goods, but he was just going to give him a scare and then give him a few melons and dates to get rid of him.