𝐨𝐧𝐞

◈━◈━◈━◈━◈

During her senior year in college a virus broke out. Apparently people who were dead, came alive and ate the living. Bentley nearly toppled over laughter when she heard about it.

She never thought anything of it till she looked at her phone and realized it was a real thing.

When Bentley found out it was serious she got into her Jeep and traveled to her hometown.

The streets were packed with traffic and people trying to get to their destinations. Eventually after about a day she reached Atlanta. Phone's had no service and all that were on the radios were warnings to avoid the dead.

When Bentley arrived to her home she found all cars there. Dread filled her system as she walked up the porch. Bentley knocked on the door but there was no response. She tried to open the door but it was locked.

Bentley tried the back door, side door, and gaurge but nothing was open. She eventually looked up to the second floor. A terrible idea popped into her head.

"Here goes nothing." 

Bentley drove her Jeep to the side of the house where her second floor bedroom was. She would always leave her bedroom window unlocked. Bentley stood up onto her Jeep and climbed to the roof. She pulled herself onto the window ledge.

She pushed the window up and collapsed inside. She exhaladed at the sight of her room. Her home.

Bentley had seen the dead, she never fought one but she's seen them and they were vicious.

She mentally prepared herself before silently opening her bedroom door. There was no sounds of shuffling or groaning. Bentley continued to check each bedroom upstairs as well as the bathroom. No sign of anyone. 

She looked down the stairs before stepping slowly down each one. Knowing she had no weapons nor had she even seen one of these 'things' she continued descending down the stairs silently. 

 She cleared her entire house. There was no one. 

Bentley pushed the worst of her thoughts behind her. She checked everything there was no power on anything. Her nerves heightened. She swallowed thickly before rubbing her eyes. 

"Where are you?" She asked holding a picture frame of her, her mother, father, and older brother. 

Bentley had spent the next two or three weeks in the house. She didn't leave it once. Terrified of what she'd find outside.

Eventually Bentley came to terms with the fact her family was more than likely a part of the dead. 

She couldn't live in the house alone, the memories that she would never be able to have again were haunting her. So Bentley grabbed a bag from her closet. It was a normal backpack. She packed a shirt, some jeans, some underwear, and bras. That had already taken up half the storage space. 

She placed a few kitchen knives in her bag, the photo of her and her family, and finally she walked down the stairs to the basement where a safe was. She unlocked it and took out a few wads of cash and a handgun. Bentley had shooten one before. Her father took her and her brother to several gun shows and taught them how to shoot. 

"Bingo." She grabbed two hand guns and placed them in her bag. She grabbed the last handgun and placed it in the side of her pants. She closed the safe and walked back up the stairs.

Bentley had eaten most of the dry food in their house so she packed a few protein bars and grabbed the last water bottle they had. 

Bentley gave the house one last look before she exited and unlocked her Jeep. She placed her bag beside her and drove off. 

The streets were deserted. Not a soul in sight. Not even the dead.

She had nearly a full tank of gas so she continued driving down the road that was empty. Till someone stepped out in front of her Jeep. Bentley screamed and swerved her Jeep but she still hit whoever was in front of her.