Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Dillon

      It sucks not playing in the playoffs for the World Series, but we didn't earn it. When the team lost Nate, we lost our leader, and our drive to win. It ended up hurting our season in more ways than one. We struggled and we still haven't found our way out of this hole. It would be a miracle if Nate can come back this coming season. From what his doctor said, I don't see it happening. That hurts all of us.

      I have no interest in watching the games with the guys. I didn't want to hear the bitching about how it's Nate's fault, like he planned on blowing out his knee. Or how Nate brought the drama to the team and that's why we lost. He didn't bring anything but wins. We've all busted our asses for this team, but especially Nate. He was the first one on the field every practice and the last one to leave. He stayed and worked with players to help their game, or just talk them through a problem that they were facing. To blame him is just wrong.

     I decided to stay home for the first game of the playoffs and enjoy my day in peace. The awards banquet for the team is at the end of the week and I'll deal with them at that time. I need to decide if I want to stay with the team for another season or request a trade. I have the ability to do that, but I'm still debating on what I want to do. I know there are plenty of teams I can choose across the country and I would be welcome, same goes for Reese. We both have some serious decisions to make. I know I've got more than one reason to leave this team. Bailey is playing a big part in this decision.

     I haven't talked to her since the other night when I finally got her to agree to just be friends, in secret, even though I want a lot more from her. A lot more.  She's hesitant to be anything and I get it, the coaches and manager have threatened her job. She's alone in this and no one deserves that.

       Everyone needs a friend. That one person they can rely on to be there no matter what. I want to be there for her. I want her to open that door for me and let me be there for her. It's a long road before she's going to let that happen. She's got a lot of history and hurdles to climb to get there, but she's meeting me part way on this at least. We're friends, in secret.

     I've been trying to figure out a way for it to be more. To bring our friendship out to my family, and close friends. I don't think she'll go for it. Bailey is reserved and cautious in every step she makes with a team. I googled her again and dug a little more hoping to find out why she is the way she is.

     Turns out she was involved with a big time player on the east coast. When he got injured, he blamed Bailey's coaching for the injury and it destroyed not only their relationship, but her career. The coaches here knew what happened, which is why they got her at such a deal. She took half the pay she was getting on the east coast to come out here. She's doing everything she can to salvage her career. I can't ask her to ruin it for me.

       She deserves this shot to start over.

     I'm rooting for Boston for the win. Not because Bailey was fired from New York, but because of the asshole who broke her heart and ruined her career.  I should be thankful for it, actually. Because of what happened to her, we got her on our team. I got to meet her and get to know this wonderful woman and everything special about her. I'm not feeling bad for that or that she came here. I feel bad that she's hurt by the way it happened.

     "Throw the damn ball! You stupid fuck!" I yell at the TV as if the players can hear me. That idiot, Bayles, always holds onto the ball longer than he should. He's cost Boston so many runs because of it.

     "GO! Go! Run, you idiot! Don't look at home. Just catch the damn ball!" I'm going to have a heart attack from this game and it's only the third inning.