Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Dillon

      We left Bailey's car at the batting cages and I drove her to the ER. I know it wasn't a life or death injury, but I don't need the coach on my ass at the next practice because I hurt one of the best batting coaches around. I'm sure he's going to be pretty pissed with me as it is.

      Besides, having this extra time with her gives me the opportunity to get to know her better. Her social media didn't give a lot of information about her. I know her Dad was one of the best east coast coaches around. He is well known as taking his team to the World Series every year at the height of his career.

      I remember how I wanted to be on his team. It didn't happen, but man, I wanted to play for him. I was drafted out here, close to home and I was happy with it. Hometown boy makes it to the big leagues. My parents were proud and I was able to see them on a regular basis.

    It's always nice to have a home schedule on a weekend and get a home cooked meal from Mom or go check out a game with Dad.  It kept us grounded, reminding us of who we are and where we came from.

      Knowing that Bailey followed in her Dad's footsteps, I have a ton of questions for her. Why didn't she work for him, or his team? Why did she leave New York? Who did she like to work with? I'm a baseball kid at heart and a huge fan of the greats.

    I was careful with her when we walked in. Not leaving her side, I made sure she was checked in and taken care of quickly. A celebrity's presence tends to move things a bit quicker. I don't usually use my status for an advantage but this was different. It wasn't for my benefit, so I used my status to get her through.

     "You didn't have to do that. I'm fine with waiting my turn." Bailey insisted as we were led back to an exam room.

     "I just want to get you taken care of. I know how my presence can draw a crowd." I reasoned but even after saying it, it feels wrong. I sound egotistical and arrogant. It's not me. "I just mean, I want you cared for without the press."

     "I'm not unfamiliar with the press." She nods to the nurse as we're shown into the small room. "You know, I don't need a babysitter, right? I can handle this on my own."

      "I know. I just feel responsible. It was my fault you got hurt." I don't know if I can apologize anymore for what I did.

      I wasn't thinking about anything but her. It's not like me to get this distracted. There's just something about Bailey that got my attention. I can't explain it.

     The ER doc showed up a few minutes later and got to work on Bailey. After asking me to leave so he could examine her, I took a short walk down the hall and got Bailey and I some water. I wandered around, waiting to go back in and looked around the waiting room.

      There was an older guy who looked to have hurt his leg, and a few people who were coughing, sneezing and feeling awful. There's a kid, who is holding his arm, with his mom filling out the paperwork for him.

     The kid sees me and I see that great response I get when a kid recognizes me. His face lights up and he pulls on his mom's arm to tell her who I am. The mom looks at her son, then over to me. I make a point of acknowledging her with a smile and a wave.

     The kid comes over with a big grin on his face. "You're Dillon Segler!"

     "Yep!" Knowing the kid is a fan, my ego gets a boost. "What's your name, kid?" I ask, shaking his good hand.

      "Ash," he grins wide. "Ash Finch. That's my mom! She said I could ask you for your autograph. I've got a pen but... after I get my cast, could you sign it?"