Rodeado do Tierra

Prompt: Bolivia

Bolivia had known there was no hope of getting the Litoral Department and Puna de Atacama back. He had known that for a long time since the war. But a small, perhaps foolish, part of him had hoped that maybe he would get them back.

Bolivia always did have a hard time letting go of things.

"Hello, Chile," Bolivia said as he entered the room. They were in Chile's capital, not his own. It made sense; he had lost the war, but it still hurt. His cousin smiled, an almost cocky grin making its way across his face.

"Hello, mi primo. It is so lovely to see you again! You've been avoiding me since 1899, you know? Still licking your wounds?" Chile said, standing up and throwing an arm over Bolivia's shoulder, gilding him to the table. His voice sounded genuine, but his words sent waves of irritation through Bolivia's body. He clenched his fists, exhaling sharply.

He couldn't punch Chile, no matter how annoyingly egotistical he was. This was the signing of a peace treaty that would establish their borders. Bolivia couldn't turn it into a diplomatic incident. He didn't need another war.

"I have other things to look after, you know. Not all my politics concern you," Bolivia answered, trying to keep his voice even, drawing his wings closer to his back. He didn't like how they brushed against Chile's side.

He had gotten them four years after the War of the Pacific. As much as he enjoyed flight, they didn't make up for what he had lost.

Nothing would make up for what he has lost.

Chile pulled away, the grin still in place.

"Ah, primo, but they would be more fun if they did," Chile said, grin seemingly becoming wider at Bolivia's annoyed expression, "I'm joking. You need to lighten up."

Bolivia began to consider "accidentally" breaking his glasses so he would not have to see Chile's smug face so clearly. It would make him feel better. And it wouldn't cause a diplomatic incident.

"Chile, can we just sign this treaty? I have things I need to return, too, and I can't waste all my time here." Bolivia sighed. Chile waved a hand dismissively.

"Fine, fine. But, primo, seriously consider stopping by sometime. I'd love to show you around," Chile said. Bolivia crossed his arms and raised an eyebrow.

"I'd rather not, but...thank you for the generous offer," he drawled out sarcastically. Chile was never one to understand sarcasm, however, and the egotistical country just smiled.

Chile then picked up the pen, signing his own name with a flourish, before passing it over to Bolivia. Bolivia picked up the pen and paused, a storm of emotions swirling in his chest.

Pride and shame and embarrassment and guilt and—

"Do you need help writing?" Chile asked. Bolivia gritted his teeth.

"I'm fine," he said firmly before signing his name, shoulders slumping as he did so. He was officially a landlocked nation. His ports, his coastline, his mines—they all belonged to Chile now.

Bolivia felt like a failure.

"Thank you for your time, primo. It was nice seeing you again," Chile said, a pleasant smile on his face.

Bolivia still really wanted to punch him. But he did his best to plaster on a diplomatic smile.

"Have a good day, Chile. I must get back to my country now," Bolivia said before turning around to leave.

The sooner he got out of that man's country, the better.