La Muerte de Imperio

Prompt: Equatorial Guinea

Equatorial Guinea was independent. It was about time, in a way, but at the same time, so...strange.

Her independence led to the death of the Spanish Empire. Her father, who survived through the Latin American Wars of Independence, the Spanish-American War, through all of that, was killed by her, a tiny little African country, the same country that had kept him alive through all of that before. She was what led to his death.

It was so strange.

Equatorial Guinea couldn't really bring herself to care, however. Sure, he had been her father, but he was an empire—an empire that controlled her and kept her from her independence.

It was...it was hard to grieve a man like that. According to the rumors she had heard from some of the former British colonies, he could have been worse, but even a tamed empire was still an empire.

So, how should she feel? What side should she take? Neither was great. She just...she wanted to be her own person, and she hoped she could figure out how, but the empires never accounted for the people that came before them, and conflict and resentment were already brewing.

Equatorial Guinea wasn't sure what independence would mean for her. The other former Spanish colonies either won their independence or were taken by other nations and given their independence from them.

She was the first Spanish colony to be given independence, to be prepared for that. What did that mean for her? For her people? For her relationship with Spain, the one that bore the full brunt of the dictatorship's control.

That government could barely stand Spain thinking differently than them. Were they really okay with her independence?

She didn't know. She could only hope that things worked out. Otherwise...well, it was better not to think about that.

She was independent now. She wanted to think positively.