El Istmo

Prompt: Colombia

Colombia wasn't surprised by Panama's independence. Her connection with him and his country has always been strenuous, especially with the Tapón del Darién between them. And there had been a Panama, years ago, who declared independence back during the original wars with Spain.

That didn't mean it stung any less. What stung the post was that Panama's independence didn't stay between them, didn't stay as a conflict between them.

Instead, fucking United States had to get involved.

That man didn't know how to leave anything alone. He thought everyone's business was his and got involved time and time again.

Would Panama have gotten her independence without him? Maybe. Colombia didn't know how things would have played out without that aggravating man getting in the way time and time again, but he didn't really care.

United States had only gotten involved to further his own interests anyways. He only got involved to build that fucking canal.

He didn't care about Panama or her independence. He just cared about himself.

Colombia hated it. Sure, Panama was her own country now, but she was still Colombia's daughter, and he hated the idea of Panama being used by United States. He tried to convince her that she was making a mistake.

He offered her anything to pull her away from United States' influence. Hell, he even offered to make Panama City his new capital city, to give her a reason to rejoin him, to prove that he did care about her people and would be a good country for them.

It didn't work. She left, and United States and her had a child, and now he was off to work building that fucking canal.

Colombia wasn't the only one concerned by United States' actions. Chile, his machismo primo and close friend, was also worried about United States' growing influence.

"He wants to become an empire, mi primo, and he'll manipulate whoever he can here to get that," his cousin had said. If Chile, America's biggest dumbass, could put that together, then it was becoming glaringly obvious, as if it wasn't obvious before.

So Colombia walked into this meeting with his daughter with a few ulterior motives. He did want to see her again, to figure out how she was doing, and to establish diplomatic relations... but he also wanted to see how much influence United States had on her. The canal construction was done, but the Canal Zone still lived, and with it, United States' ability to manipulate Panama.

She had been independent for twenty-one years before Colombia's government recognized her. United States could have done a lot in that time. Panama was already his fucking protectorate, and everyone and their mother knew what Britain and France did to their protectorates.

"Hello, Panama," Colombia said as he noticed his daughter enter the room, quickly running a hand through his hair to ensure it looked presentable.

"Hello, Father. Thank you for finally recognizing me. I look forward to finally establishing our borders," Panama said. Her tone was slightly frosty, but she acknowledged Colombia as her father, which had to be a good thing, right?

"I do as well. But may we talk first? I have not seen you since 1903—"

"When you were begging me to rejoin you. I remember," Panama said, her gaze so steely for one so young. Colombia felt his face flush.

"Yes, well, that is in the past. You are your own country now," Columbia said, trying to ignore the awkward air that had developed before clearing his throat. "I know things have not been great between us, but this is supposed to be a new start. Can't I get to know the person you have become?"

"Fine. But I have things to do after this, and Canal Zone and I have dinner planned this evening, so I would like this not to run too long," Panama said. Colombia nodded, a small smile spreading on his face.

"I understand. Thank you. Would you like to sign the treaty now so you are not under any pressure to stay if you need to leave?" Colombia asked. Panama smiled.

"I would like that; thank you," she said before signing the treaty, Colombia doing the same.

"So, how are things between you and my granddaughter?" Colombia asked. Panama gave him an exasperated look.

"Are you only here to talk to me about my relationship with the United States?" she asked.

Yes.

"No, of course not. I want to know you. You are my neighbor and my daughter," Colombia insisted. Panama raised an eyebrow but answered Colombia anyway.

"Canal Zone is a good friend. She's my daughter, but because we are so close in age, she is also my friend. She likes learning new things and traveling. When she is not with her father or me, she runs off on some ship passing through her land, off on her next adventure," Panama said, a fond smile on her face. It was clear she cared for her child.

"Is she with United States often?" Colombia asked.

"He has her two weeks a month, and I have her the other two unless she's run off. It...works. United States wouldn't let her visit during the Great War, but everything changes in times of war," Panama said, brushing it off. Colombia scowled, mouth moving before his brain.

"What would you know about war? You never fought in it before," he said. Panama had no idea what war was like. How did she know what changes in times of war? How did she know that United States was doing it for the right reasons and not just to gain more control of the Canal Zone?

"I declared war on los Imperios Centrales!" Panama snapped, standing up from her chair and slamming her hands down on the table. Colombia stood in response, looking down at the young nation, at his daughter.

"I know, but you never fought them. You cannot claim to understand war until you see it, truly see it," Colombia said, shutting his eyes against the onslaught of memories.

"You can't claim to understand me when you refused to acknowledge my existence for most of my life!" Panama said, a steely gaze in her eye before she vanished. Colombia sighed, collapsing back down into his chair.

He messed it up again. He really wasn't good at being a father.

Part of him wanted to blame United States. Part of him wanted to blame himself.

All of him wanted to do better.

He could only hope that things would indeed turn out better in the future.