Sermon 22: Let My People Go

Key Text: Exodus 5:1-2 (KJV)

"And afterward Moses and Aaron went in, and told Pharaoh, Thus saith the Lord God of Israel, Let my people go, that they may hold a feast unto me in the wilderness. And Pharaoh said, Who is the Lord, that I should obey his voice to let Israel go? I know not the Lord, neither will I let Israel go."

Imagine standing before the most powerful man in the world, your knees shaking, your voice trembling, but your heart filled with an unshakable conviction. This was the situation Moses and Aaron found themselves in as they stood before Pharaoh, the ruler of Egypt. They weren't there to ask for a favor or to negotiate a deal. No, they were there with a message from the Almighty God: "Let my people go."

Now, let's take a moment to appreciate the boldness of this request. Moses and Aaron, two men who had no political power or worldly influence, were telling the most powerful ruler of their time to release an entire nation of slaves. It's like walking into the office of a multinational corporation's CEO and telling them to give away their most valuable asset. It seems absurd, doesn't it?

But that's the beauty of faith. It doesn't operate on worldly logic. It operates on divine assurance. Moses and Aaron weren't relying on their own strength or wisdom. They were simply vessels, carrying the message of the Lord God of Israel.

Now, Pharaoh's response is quite telling. He says, "Who is the Lord, that I should obey his voice to let Israel go? I know not the Lord, neither will I let Israel go." This response reveals a heart that's hardened against God. Pharaoh, in his arrogance, couldn't fathom a power greater than himself. He was the ruler of Egypt, after all. In his mind, he was the highest authority.

Isn't this attitude familiar? How often do we encounter people - or perhaps even find ourselves - questioning God's authority? "Who is the Lord, that I should obey His voice?" We might not say it out loud, but our actions often speak louder than words. When we choose to ignore God's commandments, when we prioritize our desires over His will, aren't we essentially echoing Pharaoh's words?

But here's the thing: God's authority doesn't depend on our recognition of it. Whether Pharaoh acknowledged Him or not, God remained the sovereign ruler of the universe. His plans would unfold, with or without Pharaoh's cooperation.

This brings us to an important point. God's call on our lives, His commands, and His plans are not suggestions. They're not up for negotiation. When God says, "Let my people go," it's not a request - it's a declaration of what will happen.

Now, you might be thinking, "But I'm not Pharaoh. I'm not holding anyone captive." And you're right, at least in the literal sense. But let's dig a little deeper. Are there areas in your life where you're resisting God's command to "let go"? Maybe it's a grudge you're holding onto, refusing to forgive someone who hurt you. Perhaps it's a harmful habit that you know you need to break, but you keep making excuses. Or it could be a dream or ambition that God is asking you to surrender, but you're clinging to it with all your might.

You see, we all have our own "Egypt" - areas in our lives where we think we're in control, where we resist God's authority. And just like Pharaoh, we might find ourselves asking, "Who is the Lord, that I should obey His voice?"

But here's the good news: God is patient. He didn't give up on Pharaoh after this first refusal, and He doesn't give up on us either. Throughout the book of Exodus, we see God repeatedly demonstrating His power, giving Pharaoh chance after chance to recognize His authority and obey.

This persistence of God is a testament to His love for us. He doesn't force us to obey Him. Instead, He patiently works in our lives, revealing Himself to us, showing us His power and His love until our hearts soften and we willingly submit to His authority.