Sermon 79: The Unrivaled Power and Love of Our God

Key Text: Deuteronomy 32:39 (KJV)

"See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand."

Imagine, for a moment, standing at the edge of the Grand Canyon. As you gaze out over its vast expanse, you're struck by its sheer magnitude and beauty. The layers of rock tell a story millions of years old, carved by the persistent flow of water. In that moment, you might feel small, insignificant even. But there's also a sense of awe, a recognition that something far greater than ourselves is at work in this world.

This feeling of awe is just a glimpse of what we experience when we truly contemplate the nature of our God. Today, we're going to explore a powerful verse from Deuteronomy that reveals the unmatched sovereignty and love of our Creator.

In Deuteronomy 32:39, we read, "See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand."

Let's break this verse down and see what it tells us about our God.

First, "See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me." This is a bold declaration of God's uniqueness. In a world where people worship many different gods, where some even claim there is no god at all, our God stands alone. He's not just another option in a spiritual buffet. He is the one true God, incomparable and unrivaled.

Think about it like this: If you were to line up all the world's greatest artists - da Vinci, Michelangelo, Van Gogh - their combined talent wouldn't even come close to matching the creative power of our God. He's not just better than other gods; He's in a category all His own.

Next, the verse says, "I kill, and I make alive." Now, this might sound harsh at first. Why would God talk about killing? But remember, God is talking about His ultimate authority over life and death. He's not a trigger-happy deity looking to smite people. Instead, this phrase reminds us that every breath we take is a gift from God. He is the source of all life, and He alone has the power to give it and take it away.

Think of it like this: When you plant a garden, you decide which plants to grow and which to remove. You nurture the good plants and pull out the weeds. In a much grander scale, God tends to the garden of humanity, always working towards what's best for His creation.

The verse continues, "I wound, and I heal." This might be the most comforting part of the verse for many of us. Life can be painful. We all face hardships, disappointments, and losses. But our God is not distant from our pain. He's intimately involved in our lives, allowing difficulties for our growth and providing healing in His perfect time.

It's like when a doctor sets a broken bone. The process is painful, but it's necessary for proper healing. Our loving God sometimes allows us to experience pain, not because He enjoys our suffering, but because He's working towards our ultimate good and healing.

Finally, the verse concludes with, "neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand." This is a powerful reminder of God's protection and sovereignty. Once we're in God's care, nothing can snatch us away. No force in heaven or on earth is strong enough to separate us from God's love.

Imagine being a small child, holding your parent's hand while crossing a busy street. You might be scared of the traffic, but you know that as long as you're holding that strong hand, you're safe. That's the kind of security we have in God's hands, but infinitely more so.

Now, you might be thinking, "This all sounds nice, but what does it mean for me in my everyday life?" Great question! Let's look at how understanding this verse can transform our daily walk with God.