Sermon 39: Harvest with Compassion

Key Text: Leviticus 19:9-10 (KJV)

"And when ye reap the harvest of your land, thou shalt not wholly reap the corners of thy field, neither shalt thou gather the gleanings of thy harvest. And thou shalt not glean thy vineyard, neither shalt thou gather every grape of thy vineyard; thou shalt leave them for the poor and stranger: I am the Lord your God."

Imagine, if you will, a field of golden wheat stretching as far as the eye can see. The sun beats down on the backs of hardworking farmers as they gather their harvest, the fruits of their labor. Now, picture those same farmers deliberately leaving some of that precious crop behind. It might seem strange, even wasteful, but this is exactly what God instructed His people to do in Leviticus 19:9-10.

Today, we're going to explore these verses and uncover the profound lessons they hold for us as Seventh-day Adventists living in the 21st century. These ancient words, penned thousands of years ago, still ring true and offer us guidance on how to live as God's people in a world that often forgets the less fortunate.

Let's break down this passage bit by bit. First, God tells the Israelites not to "wholly reap the corners of thy field." Now, why would He say that? Wouldn't it make more sense to harvest everything you've grown? After all, you've put in the hard work, tilled the soil, planted the seeds, and tended the crops. Surely, you deserve to reap all the benefits, right?

But God, in His infinite wisdom, had a different plan. He wanted His people to leave some of their harvest behind. And not just any part of the harvest, but specifically the corners of the field and the gleanings – those bits and pieces that fall to the ground during harvesting.

Now, you might be wondering, "What's the point of leaving perfectly good food in the field?" Well, the answer lies in the second part of our key text: "thou shalt leave them for the poor and stranger."

You see, God wasn't asking His people to waste their crops. He was teaching them a valuable lesson about generosity, compassion, and community care. By leaving some of the harvest behind, the Israelites were providing for those who couldn't provide for themselves – the poor and the strangers in their land.

This concept of gleaning was a sort of ancient welfare system. It allowed those in need to maintain their dignity by working for their food, rather than simply receiving handouts. It also ensured that no one in the community would go hungry, even if they didn't own land or couldn't afford to buy food.

Now, let's think about how this applies to us today. We might not all be farmers with fields of wheat or vineyards full of grapes, but we all have resources – whether it's money, time, skills, or possessions. God is calling us to be intentional about leaving some of these resources for those in need.

Just as the Israelites were instructed not to harvest every last grain or grape, we too should resist the urge to keep everything for ourselves. In a world that often encourages us to accumulate more and more, God's word reminds us of the importance of generosity and sharing.

But it's not just about giving away what we don't need or want. The corners of the field and the fallen grapes were still valuable parts of the harvest. God was asking His people to give from their best, not just their leftovers. This challenges us to give sacrificially, even when it might be uncomfortable or inconvenient.

Moreover, this passage teaches us about trust in God's provision. By leaving part of their harvest, the Israelites were demonstrating faith that God would continue to provide for them. They weren't hoarding out of fear of future lack but were sharing out of confidence in God's faithfulness.

As Seventh-day Adventists, we believe in the soon return of Jesus. But while we wait for that glorious day, we're called to live out God's love and care for others in practical ways. Just as the ancient Israelites created a system of care for the vulnerable in their society, we too are called to look out for those in need around us.