Sermon 54: Faith in the Face of Giants

Key Text: Numbers 13:30 (KJV)

"And Caleb stilled the people before Moses, and said, Let us go up at once, and possess it; for we are well able to overcome it."

Imagine standing at the edge of a vast, promising land. The air is filled with the scent of ripe fruits and flowing milk and honey. This is the land God promised to His people, a land of abundance and blessing. Yet, as you gaze upon this beautiful landscape, you see towering figures in the distance – giants that make you feel small and insignificant. What would you do? Would you turn back in fear, or would you step forward in faith?

This is the very situation the Israelites faced in our scripture passage today, Numbers 13:25-33. Let's dive into this story and see what lessons we can glean for our own lives.

The scene opens with the twelve spies returning from their 40-day exploration of Canaan. They had been sent by Moses to scout the land God had promised them. As they stood before the entire congregation of Israel, they began to give their report.

At first, their words were encouraging. They described a land flowing with milk and honey, a phrase that paints a picture of abundance and prosperity. They even brought back a cluster of grapes so large it had to be carried on a pole between two men! Can you imagine grapes that big? It must have been a sight to behold!

But then, their tone changed. "Nevertheless," they said, "the people be strong that dwell in the land, and the cities are walled, and very great: and moreover we saw the children of Anak there." (Numbers 13:28, KJV)

The spies began to focus on the obstacles rather than the opportunities. They saw giants in the land – the sons of Anak – and suddenly, all the promises of God seemed to fade away in the shadow of these intimidating figures.

Fear began to spread through the camp like wildfire. The Israelites, who had witnessed God's mighty hand deliver them from Egypt, part the Red Sea, and provide for them in the wilderness, now trembled at the thought of these giants.

But wait! Two voices rose above the murmur of fear and doubt. Caleb and Joshua, two of the twelve spies, saw things differently. Caleb silenced the people and declared with boldness, "Let us go up at once, and possess it; for we are well able to overcome it." (Numbers 13:30, KJV)

What a contrast! While the other spies saw themselves as grasshoppers in comparison to the giants, Caleb and Joshua saw the giants as mere obstacles that God would help them overcome.

So, what can we learn from this story? What giants are we facing in our own lives today?

Firstly, we need to recognize that giants come in many forms. For some, it might be a health challenge that seems insurmountable. For others, it could be financial difficulties that loom large on the horizon. Maybe it's a broken relationship that seems beyond repair, or a habit that you just can't seem to break. These are our modern-day giants, and they can be just as intimidating as the sons of Anak.

Secondly, we need to understand that our perspective determines our response. The ten spies saw the giants and forgot about God. Caleb and Joshua saw God and remembered His promises. Which perspective do we usually adopt?

It's easy to focus on our problems and forget about God's power. We often measure our abilities against our challenges and come up short. But that's not how God wants us to think. He wants us to measure our challenges against His abilities. When we do that, suddenly, those giants don't seem so big anymore.

Remember David and Goliath? Everyone else saw Goliath and thought, "He's too big to hit." But David saw Goliath and thought, "He's too big to miss!" It's all about perspective.