Sermon 72: The Bread of Life

Key Text: Deuteronomy 8:3 (KJV)

"And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the Lord doth man live."

Imagine, for a moment, that you're lost in a vast desert. The sun beats down mercilessly, and your throat is parched. Your stomach growls with hunger, and your feet ache from walking. You've been wandering for days, and your supplies have run out. In this moment of desperation, what do you crave most? Water? Food? Shelter?

Now, let's turn our attention to the Israelites in the wilderness. They had just escaped slavery in Egypt, witnessed the miraculous parting of the Red Sea, and found themselves in a barren landscape. Can you picture their situation? It wasn't too different from our imaginary desert scenario, was it?

In Deuteronomy 8:3, we find a powerful reminder of God's provision and purpose during those challenging times. Let's break it down together:

"And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger..."

First, we see that God allowed His people to experience hardship. Now, you might be thinking, "Wait a minute! Why would a loving God do that?" Well, friends, sometimes the path to growth involves some discomfort. Think about it like exercise. When we work out, our muscles feel sore, but that soreness leads to strength.

God wasn't being cruel; He was teaching a lesson. He wanted His people to learn humility and dependence on Him. How often do we, in our comfortable lives, forget our need for God? It's easy to become self-reliant when things are going well. But God knows that true strength comes from acknowledging our weakness and turning to Him.

"...and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know..."

Here's where it gets interesting. God didn't leave His people hungry. He provided manna – a mysterious food that appeared each morning like dew on the ground. Can you imagine waking up to find your breakfast literally at your doorstep?

This manna was unlike anything they or their ancestors had ever seen. It was a completely new experience. Sometimes, God's provision comes in unexpected ways. We might pray for a job, and He gives us a skill to learn. We might ask for healing, and He provides strength to endure. God's solutions often surprise us, stretching our faith and understanding.

"...that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the Lord doth man live."

Now we come to the heart of the matter. God's ultimate goal wasn't just to fill their stomachs; it was to fill their souls. He wanted them to understand a profound truth: physical nourishment alone isn't enough for a fulfilling life.

Think about it this way: Have you ever met someone who has all the material comforts they could want, yet they're still unhappy? On the flip side, have you known people who have very little in terms of worldly possessions but radiate joy and contentment? What's the difference?

The difference, my friends, is spiritual nourishment. Just as our bodies need food, our souls need the Word of God. When Jesus was tempted in the wilderness, He quoted this very verse to Satan. He understood that true life, abundant life, comes from feeding on God's Word.

But what does it mean to live by "every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the Lord"? It means more than just reading the Bible, although that's certainly part of it. It means:

1. Listening to God's guidance in our daily lives

2. Trusting His promises, even when circumstances look bleak