Sermon 26: A Chosen People

Key Text: Exodus 19:5-6 (KJV)

"Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine: And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel."

Imagine standing at the foot of a towering mountain, feeling small and insignificant as you gaze up at its majestic peaks. The air is thick with anticipation, and you can almost feel the presence of something greater than yourself. This is the scene we find in Exodus 19, where the Israelites have gathered at the base of Mount Sinai, waiting to hear from God.

In this powerful moment, God speaks to Moses, delivering a message that would shape the identity and purpose of His chosen people for generations to come. Today, we'll explore the profound meaning behind God's words in Exodus 19:5-6 and discover how they apply to our lives as Seventh-day Adventists in the modern world.

Let's break down this passage and unpack its rich meaning:

"Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant..."

God begins with a conditional statement. He's offering a proposition to the Israelites, and by extension, to us today. The word "if" is crucial here. It implies that what follows is a choice – an opportunity for us to decide whether we want to align ourselves with God's will.

But what does it mean to "obey God's voice" and "keep His covenant"? In simple terms, it's about listening to God's instructions and following through with our actions. It's not just hearing His words but putting them into practice in our daily lives.

Think about it like this: When a parent tells their child to clean their room, the child has a choice. They can ignore the request, or they can obey. Obeying doesn't just mean saying, "Okay, I'll do it," but actually rolling up their sleeves and doing the work. In the same way, God is asking us to not just hear His words but to act on them.

Now, let's look at the promises God makes if we choose to obey:

"...then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine:"

The word "peculiar" here doesn't mean odd or strange as we might use it today. Instead, it means special, unique, or set apart. God is saying that if we obey Him, we will be His prized possession – His treasure.

Imagine you have a collection of beautiful seashells that you've gathered over the years. Among them is one shell that's particularly stunning – perhaps it's more colorful or more perfectly shaped than the others. That's your favorite, your "peculiar treasure." God is saying that's how He views those who obey Him.

But notice the important phrase that follows: "for all the earth is mine." God is reminding us that everything in this world belongs to Him. He's not choosing us because He needs us or because we're inherently better than others. He's choosing us out of love, to fulfill a special purpose.

And what is that purpose? The next verse tells us:

"And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation."

Here, God is describing the role He has in mind for those who obey Him. Let's break this down:

A "kingdom of priests" – In ancient times, priests were intermediaries between God and the people. They represented God to the people and the people to God. By calling us a kingdom of priests, God is inviting us to play a similar role in the world. We're called to represent God to those around us and to intercede for others through our prayers and actions.