Sermon 52: The Danger of Discontentment

Key Text: Numbers 11:4-6 (KJV)

"And the mixt multitude that was among them fell a lusting: and the children of Israel also wept again, and said, Who shall give us flesh to eat? We remember the fish, which we did eat in Egypt freely; the cucumbers, and the melons, and the leeks, and the onions, and the garlick: But now our soul is dried away: there is nothing at all, beside this manna, before our eyes."

Have you ever felt like what you have just isn't enough? Maybe you've looked at your neighbor's new car and thought, "Why can't I have that?" Or perhaps you've scrolled through social media, seeing pictures of exotic vacations and fancy dinners, feeling a twinge of envy in your heart. If you've ever experienced these feelings, you're not alone. In fact, this very human struggle is as old as time itself, and we see it clearly illustrated in our key text from Numbers 11:4-6.

Let's set the scene. The Israelites had been miraculously delivered from slavery in Egypt. They had witnessed the ten plagues, walked through the parted Red Sea, and were now being led by God Himself through the wilderness. Every day, they woke up to find manna – bread from heaven – waiting for them. It was a daily reminder of God's provision and care. Yet, despite all of this, we find them complaining.

Now, you might be thinking, "Well, I can understand getting a little tired of eating the same thing every day." And that's a fair point. But let's dig a little deeper into what's really happening here.

The passage tells us that it all started with "the mixt multitude that was among them." These were likely non-Israelites who had joined the exodus from Egypt. They began to crave other food, and their discontent spread like wildfire through the camp. Soon, the Israelites themselves were weeping and complaining.

But what were they actually saying? "We remember the fish, which we did eat in Egypt freely; the cucumbers, and the melons, and the leeks, and the onions, and the garlick." They were looking back on their time in slavery with rose-colored glasses, conveniently forgetting the brutal oppression they had endured. All they could think about was the variety of food they once had.

This, my friends, is the danger of discontentment. It distorts our perception of reality. It makes us forget the blessings we have and instead focus on what we think we're missing. The Israelites had been given freedom, protection, and daily provision by God Himself, yet all they could think about was the food they used to eat when they were slaves!

Now, let's bring this closer to home. How often do we do the same thing in our own lives? We complain about our jobs, forgetting that there are many who would love to have steady employment. We grumble about our homes, not realizing that for many, having a roof over their head is a luxury. We even sometimes get bored with our church services, forgetting the privilege we have to worship freely.

The Israelites said, "But now our soul is dried away: there is nothing at all, beside this manna, before our eyes." They had reduced God's miraculous provision to "nothing at all." Can you imagine how this must have grieved the heart of God? He had done so much for them, yet they couldn't see it.

So, what's the lesson for us here? How can we avoid falling into this same trap of discontentment?

First, we need to practice gratitude. Instead of focusing on what we don't have, let's make a conscious effort to thank God for what we do have. Every morning when you wake up, try listing five things you're grateful for. It could be as simple as the air you breathe or the comfortable bed you slept in. This practice can dramatically shift our perspective.

Second, we need to remember God's faithfulness in our lives. The Israelites had forgotten all that God had done for them. Let's not make the same mistake. Take some time to reflect on how God has provided for you in the past. Write these instances down if it helps. When we remember God's past faithfulness, it becomes easier to trust Him with our present and future.