Sermon 80: The Power of Remembering

Key Text: Deuteronomy 32:7 (KJV)

"Remember the days of old, consider the years of many generations: ask thy father, and he will shew thee; thy elders, and they will tell thee."

In the bustling world we live in today, it's easy to get caught up in the present moment. We're constantly bombarded with new information, new technologies, and new challenges. But have you ever stopped to think about the importance of looking back? Of remembering where we came from and the lessons our ancestors learned?

Today, we're going to explore a powerful verse from the book of Deuteronomy. It's a verse that reminds us of the importance of remembering our past, of learning from those who came before us, and of passing on that wisdom to future generations.

Let's take a moment to really think about what this verse is saying. "Remember the days of old." What does that mean for us? It's not just about recalling facts or dates from history books. It's about truly understanding the experiences, the struggles, and the triumphs of those who came before us.

Think about your own family history. Do you know the stories of your grandparents or great-grandparents? Do you know the challenges they faced, the decisions they made, the faith that sustained them? These are the "days of old" that we're called to remember.

But why is this so important? Well, let's think about it this way. Imagine you're trying to build a house, but you've never seen a house before. You don't know anything about foundations, walls, or roofs. How successful do you think you'd be? Probably not very! But what if you could talk to someone who had built many houses before? Someone who could tell you about the mistakes they made and the solutions they found? Suddenly, your task becomes much easier.

That's what remembering the past does for us. It gives us a foundation to build on. It helps us avoid the mistakes of those who came before us and learn from their successes.

The verse goes on to say, "consider the years of many generations." This is telling us that we shouldn't just look at our immediate past, but we should look back even further. We should consider the experiences and wisdom of many generations before us.

As Seventh-day Adventists, this is particularly important. Our faith is built on a rich history of believers who sought to understand God's word and live according to His will. From the early Christian church to the Protestant Reformation, from the Great Awakening to the Advent movement of the 1840s - each of these periods holds valuable lessons for us today.

But how do we access this wealth of knowledge and experience? The verse gives us a clear instruction: "ask thy father, and he will shew thee; thy elders, and they will tell thee."

This is a call to actively seek out the wisdom of those who have gone before us. It's not enough to passively receive information. We need to ask questions, to engage in conversations, to really listen to the stories and experiences of our elders.

Now, some of you might be thinking, "But what if my parents or grandparents aren't around anymore? What if I don't have elders to ask?" Remember, this verse isn't just talking about biological family. It's talking about our spiritual family too. In our church community, we have many "elders" - people who have walked with God for many years and have much wisdom to share.

But let's be honest - sometimes it's not easy to ask for guidance or to listen to advice. We live in a culture that often values youth and innovation over age and experience. We might feel like we know better, or that the experiences of older generations aren't relevant to our modern world.

However, this attitude is exactly what the Bible is warning us against. The wisdom of age is not outdated - it's timeless. The fundamental truths about God, about human nature, about faith and love and community - these things don't change with time.