5) Turning the Page

New's POV

I sat in the bustling airport lounge, the noise of travelers and announcements blending into a distant hum. Gun and Krist, my two new friends I met at the hospital, sat beside me, their presence a comforting reminder that I wasn't alone in this. We had all decided to leave Thailand behind, hoping to start fresh in the USA and leave all the painful memories in the past.

Gun was flipping through a magazine, occasionally glancing up at the departure board, while Krist was engrossed in his phone, probably checking our flight details. I stared at my own phone, the screen dark and silent, but my mind was anything but calm.

Suddenly, my phone buzzed, the vibration startling me out of my thoughts. I glanced at the screen and saw Tay's name flashing. My heart clenched, and I felt a wave of emotions crash over me. The phone rang and rang, but I couldn't bring myself to answer it. I knew what he would say, and I wasn't ready to hear it.

The phone stopped ringing, and I let out a shaky breath, thinking it was over. But then it started again, the persistent buzzing echoing my inner turmoil. I clenched my fists, trying to ignore it, but the sound seemed to grow louder, more insistent. It rang a third time, and I couldn't take it anymore.

With trembling hands, I pulled out the SIM card and threw it into the nearest trash can. The phone fell silent, and I felt a strange mix of relief and sadness. I knew this was the right thing to do, but it didn't make it any easier.

Gun looked up from his magazine, noticing my distress. "Are you okay, New?" he asked gently.

I nodded, forcing a smile. "Yeah, I'm fine. Just... letting go of the past."

Gun tried to act tough, always putting on a brave face, but I could see through his facade. I knew it was just his way of protecting himself from getting hurt. Krist, on the other hand, was incredibly kind and gentle, always ready with a comforting word or a reassuring smile. Even though I had only known these two for a couple of days, I felt safe with them. Their presence gave me the courage to start a new life in a new country.

Krist put his phone down and gave me a reassuring pat on the back. "We're here for you, New. Whatever you need."

I took a deep breath, feeling a bit more grounded with their support. "Thanks, guys. I really appreciate it."

As we waited for our flight, I tried to focus on the future, on the new life we were about to start. It wasn't going to be easy, but I knew I had to move forward. With Gun and Krist by my side, I felt a glimmer of hope that maybe, just maybe, things would get better.