8) After year

Krist POV

A year after our move to the USA, I looked back at all the changes that had taken place in our lives. We settled into Michaela's house and decided to finish high school online because all three of us were pregnant. It was challenging but also liberating. Michaela provided us with a stable and safe environment where we could focus on our studies and prepare for the future.

Michaela understood our stories and empathized with us. At first, I thought New was a bit of a weakling, but the more I got to know him, the more I realized he was a very intelligent person. A bit introverted but very literarily gifted. I understood that his boyfriend had manipulated him a lot and planted the idea that he would be completely lost without him and never achieve anything on his own. I hated him, even though I had never met him.

On the other hand, when I learned about Gun's past, I couldn't believe my ears. I still don't understand how Gun could love such a toxic person, but I understood why Gun had built such high walls around himself. Gun no longer behaved as coldly as he did at the beginning, and I felt that his walls were coming down, at least for us. To people outside our little family, he still looked like a hitman, but when he was safe in Michaela's house, our house, he started to be playful, sometimes even cute, and I hope he will open up even more.

Every day was full of new challenges but also joy. Michaela welcomed us with open arms, and her house became our refuge. There were times when we felt lost and hopeless, but her constant support and love gave us the strength to keep going. Her kindness and patience were like a balm for our wounded souls.

After finishing high school, we all applied to college, and to our surprise, we all received full scholarships. It was a huge relief and motivation to keep going. We felt that we were finally starting to succeed and that we had a bright future ahead of us.

Even though we didn't have to, we decided to find small part-time jobs as long as our pregnancies allowed. We wanted to contribute a little to the household and give back at least a part of what Michaela had done for us. Every dollar we earned felt like a small step towards our independence and also a token of our gratitude.

Michaela was incredibly supportive and never forced us to contribute, but we felt it was the right thing to do. Thanks to her, we had a chance to start a new life, and we wanted to show her how much we appreciated it. Every day we learned something new and slowly began to feel at home. It was a difficult but also beautiful period full of hope and new beginnings.

I remember the evenings when we all sat at the table and shared our dreams and fears. Michaela always encouraged us and reminded us that we were strong and capable of overcoming any obstacles. Her faith in us was unwavering and gave us the courage to keep going.

It was a period full of emotions – from fear and uncertainty to joy and gratitude. Thanks to Michaela, we found a new home and a new family. And even though we knew we still had a long way to go, we felt we were on the right path.

It was a long journey, but it was worth it. Now, I lie in a hospital bed with a newborn in my arms, smiling up at me. In the room are Michaela, Gun with his son, and New with his son. I feel fulfilled and happy, surrounded by people who have become my family. Each of us has gone through tough times, but together we made it. This moment is a testament to our strength and the love that binds us.