Chapter two

As always, Sophie gasped once she set foot in the giant Vacker mansion. The crystal halls were breathtakingly beautiful. There was a huge chandelier hanging in the foyer and a fountain with rainbow colored water spraying out of it, and the crystal floors were so clean and sparkly that Sophie saw a clear reflection of herself in them. "C'mon!", Biana told Sophie and she realised that she had been standing rock still in the same spot for over a minute, ogling at the fancy structures of the huge mansion.

Her best friend dragged Sophie along further crystal halls and crystal rooms, before coming to a halt in front of a particularly sparkly, breathtaking room. "Welcome to my room!", Biana exclaimed. Biana's room was twice the size of Sophie's, and it had a huge fourposter bed with trees as bedposts in the center. It was light and airy and the soft pink carpet was so fluffy and thick that Sophie sank at least ten inches into it after entering.

Only then did Sophie realise that there were other people in it with them, sitting around on the carpet. She walked over to her friends, looked around at them all: Fitz was looking cute as always, Linh had pink cheeks and her usual long black hair with silver tips that matched her brother Tam's hair. She hugged strawberry blonde Dex who showed her his dimpled grin and sat down next to him. "So, what do you guys want to do?", Biana asked, looking around expectantly. "We can play basequest!" , Fitz said with a grin.

 "Actually, I am pretty sure you just want to play that because you are an annoying telepath, so no. Telepaths are weird.", Tam grumbled from his usual shadowy corner. After saying this, he retreated back into the shadows. "Ugh, shades are creepy and grumpy.", Dex said with another grin. "Hey!", Linh said, laughing and splashing poor Dex with water."that's my twin brother you are talking to!"Linh was a hydrokinetic, which meant she could manipulate and control water. 

After arguing and, finally, voting, they decided on truth or dare. "But later we play basequest!", Fitz said. Then I can make a team with you. Sophie jumped as his crisp accented voice filled her mind. She nodded at him and smiled. Biana clapped her hands together eagerly. "So! I'll start. Truth or dare....umm...Tam."

Surprised to be asked, Tam stepped out of the shadows and said: "Truth." 

"Okay, then. Uh, who do you not like in this room?" 

"Hmmh. Does Keefe count?", Tam asked with a small smile. "In this room, man!", Dex said, his cheeks dimpling again.Linh giggled and  they all joined in. Sophie sighed: it felt good to laugh again, even if Keefe wasn't here. Keefe always made a joke out of everything AND he was super cute.

 Wait. What did she just think? She was supposed to be crushing on Fitz, not Keefe! But her heart told her otherwise. What was wrong with her today? First, her bad hair. Then her fall. And now THIS? Why did Empaths have to be so nice and supportive? Was Fitz maybe not her meant to be? Was it Keefe? Ugh, why did all elvin boys have to look like Vogue models? How was she ever going to choose? 

"Sophie?Hello? Sophie!Earth to Sophie!", Dex was tapping her frantically on her shoulder. "Sorry, what? What happened?" "Nothing, Tam asked you truth or dare!", Dex said with a shrug. "Uh, dare!I know truth is boring!" 

Sophie saw Tam's long shadow stretch over to her head as he shadow wispered to her: "I know you like Keefe and I dare you to tell him telepathically that you love him and you miss him very much." Sophie's stomach twisted uncomfortably as she considered this mushy dare. Did she really like Keefe? Doubts spiralled through her mind and she thought about how Fitz would take it. After all, she also had a crush on Fitz. Who would she choose? She didn't even really know if Keefe liked her back. What if she chose Keefe over Fitz only to see that Keefe didn't like her that way? Even though Fitz was caring, kind and sweet, he did care a LOT about the matchmaking stuff AND age had a bad temper. It would kill him to be a bad match. And Keefe... well, he was a funny, loyal guy, who didn't care about matches and he hadn't ever lost his temper with her. He had always cheered her up and had always been there for her, when Fitz hadn't. 

Her choice was clear. 

She was choosing Keefe.