a Choice All Her Own

Ellie Bishop x Jake Bishop

Ellie Bishop x Daughter!OC

Jake Bishop x Daughter!OC

~~~~~~~

The late afternoon sun cast a warm glow over the small living room, illuminating the scattered toys and a half-finished coloring book on the coffee table. Lucy Bishop, just nine years old, had been playing quietly when she heard the raised voices from the bedroom. Curiosity tugged at her, and she tiptoed down the hall, peeking through the slightly ajar door.

What she saw froze her in place.

Jake stood with his back to her, a woman Lucy recognized only from the fleeting glimpses at parties and events. The woman was laughing, a sound that felt foreign in the tense air. As Lucy's heart raced, she realized the truth—her dad was cheating on her mom.

"No one has to know," Jake was saying, his voice low and conspiratorial. "You can tell her whatever you want. Just keep this between us."

Lucy felt a sickening twist in her stomach. She turned on her heel and rushed back to her room, tears welling up in her eyes. She had to tell Mom.

Moments later, she burst into the kitchen where Ellie was prepping dinner. "Mom! I saw Daddy with someone!"

Ellie turned, concern immediately etched across her face. "What do you mean, sweetheart?"

"I saw him with a lady! They were in the bedroom, and he said we don't have to tell you anything!" Lucy's words tumbled out in a frantic rush.

Ellie's face paled as she dropped the spatula. "Lucy, are you sure?"

"Yes! I swear!" Lucy cried, her voice trembling. "I don't want him to lie to you."

Before Ellie could respond, the phone rang, slicing through the tension. It was Jake, and Lucy watched as Ellie's face shifted to a mask of resolve.

"Lucy, stay here," Ellie said softly, stepping away to take the call.

In the kitchen, Lucy could hear Jake's voice, loud and demanding. Her heart sank further as she thought about what she had just seen. She was sure now—her dad had betrayed them.

Moments later, Ellie returned, her expression a mixture of anger and sadness. "Lucy, we need to pack our things. We're going to stay with Pop-Pop and Meemaw for a while."

"Can I bring my toys?" Lucy asked, trying to find a spark of excitement amidst the turmoil.

"Of course, sweetheart. Whatever you need." Ellie knelt to Lucy's level, brushing a strand of hair from her daughter's face. "I want you to know you did the right thing by telling me."

As they began gathering Lucy's favorite things, Jake's voice rang out from the living room, laced with frustration. "Ellie! Where are you going? We need to talk!"

Lucy felt a surge of defiance. "He's just trying to trick you, Mom!" she shouted back, her little heart racing. "He said we don't have to tell you!"

Ellie paused, her face hardening. "I know, Lucy. I heard."

Jake's footsteps echoed closer. "Lucy, come here! I have something for you. I'll take you to the arcade!"

But Lucy crossed her arms, shaking her head firmly. "You can't bribe me, Daddy! You're a liar!"

Ellie took Lucy's hand, and together they walked toward the door. "We're leaving, Jake. You've made your choices, and now we're making ours."

As they stepped outside, Lucy felt a rush of freedom mixed with fear. She turned back for a moment, looking at the house that had felt so safe, now tainted by betrayal. With her hand tightly in Ellie's, she took a deep breath.