Love At First Sight

featuring Walid as your love interest and Cench as the matchmaker

song: I Only Have Eyes For You by The Flamingos

My eyes danced around the sparkling venue with that unsettling feeling in my stomach. I cleared my scratchy throat trying to focus on the wedding rather than my anxiety. The chandeliers danced above me swaying slightly from the air. The tea light candles floated in the water replacing the flower centerpieces.

Oakley's girl did the damn thing with this event. Out of my tiny friend group, Aaliyah was the first one to get married. As her bridesmaid, I was surprised at how tiring weddings can be. She looked happy on the dance floor with the love of her life, Oakley. I had only met him a few times back when he and Aaliyah first started dating while she was in grad school. 

It was the first time I had ever seen him in a suit with his curly hair barreling down to his shoulders. His tattoos peeked through his sleeves as he held onto her waist. The first dance brought tears to almost every eye here. 

The wedding planner, who always seemed anxious, bounced around the dance floor, "What a beautiful couple. I'm super excited to get this reception going. The dance floor is now open!"

I sipped my dry champagne flexing my aching feet that sat in red bottom stilettos. I grimaced as a crowd gathered on the dance floor. All of my girlfriends had a plus one except me. Aaliyah was married now, Maxine brought her fiance and Divine brought her girlfriend. I on the other hand wasn't expecting anyone to sweep me off my feet.

"You gonna sit in the corner all night?" Aaliyah huffed dragging the ends of her white ballgown.

I cracked a half smile, "Eh, maybe."

I watched as Oakley sauntered over placing a hand on her waist, "You okay, Y/N?"

I nodded, "Yeah just chatting with my girl."

I took another gulp of the champagne wishing I'd get a buzz faster. 

Aaliyah shook her head reaching to play with Oakley's tie, "Baby, don't you think Y/N should get up and dance?"

I narrowed my eyes at Oakley hoping he wouldn't agree with her. My luck ran out when he cleared his throat, "Yeah it is a party innit?"

"I can't just drink the entire bar?" I shot back earning a loud laugh from Aaliyah.

"There's so many eligible bachelors here tonight." Aaliyah surveyed the room trying to find a single man.

I was two seconds from crushing the champagne glass in my hands until I saw him. He walked over with confidence letting his cologne linger around me. He must've been friends with Oakley because I saw them embrace like they were brothers. 

Aaliyah pulled me to my feet making me let go of my champagne glass I had been coupled up with all night. She smiled and hugged the mysterious guy. He handed them a box with a red bow on it.

It was the first time I heard his voice as he spoke, "Congratulations on the wedding. Finally got my boy cuffed and locked."

"It's more like the other way around." Cench snorted pulling Aaliyah even closer than before. God, he can't leave her alone. 

I felt the breath leave my body when he turned to look at me. Aaliyah bounced up and down taking this time to introduce us, "Y/N this is Walid. He's Oakley's best friend. Walid, meet Y/N, she's been like a sister to me since elementary school." 

A slow song began to play as he reached out to shake my hand, "As much as I've been around Aaliyah she never mentioned how beautiful her friends were."

I took his hand in mine feeling the callouses on his skin, "Right."

I was speechless when Aaliyah pushed Walid on the shoulder, "Y'all should go dance."

He turned to me with hope in his brown eyes waiting for me to respond. 

I peered over my shoulder seeing how almost everyone had coupled up trying to soak up all the romantic energy in the air. 

"Sure, I'd love to dance," I confessed hoping I didn't sound desperate.

Aaliyah and Oakley watched as Walid placed his hand on the small of my back. I could feel the warmth radiating through my wine-colored dress.

"Do you think she'll ever find out we planned this with Walid?" Oakley whispered to Aaliyah once we stepped away.

She shrugged, "Who cares? I'm just glad that Walid was down for a blind date tonight. Let's hope they go home with each other tonight."

Oakley chuckled, "Babe, you gotta stay out of people's love lives."

"Never." 

Meanwhile, I was borderline shaking as he pulled me close. His cologne reminded me of the beach. It was salty but sandy giving him an even more masculine edge. My hands reached around his neck enjoying his space. 

"You do look really beautiful," Walid said staring me in the eye.

I tried not to blush, "Thank you."

He chuckled when I almost stepped over his feet, "You don't dance much do you?"

I laughed for the first time tonight, "Not really. Aaliyah tried to get me to go to those ballroom dance classes but I said no."

I could feel his hand itching to go lower than my waist but instead his hand traced my upper back instead. 

"Can I ask you something?" He asked sending a vibrato through me.

"Ask away. "I whispered praying he wouldn't say anything dumb.

"You don't have a man do you?" 

His question made me smile, "No."

"Good."

Authors Note:

PLS TELL ME I ATE WITH THIS IDK

Vote and Comment (yes I know I haven't been around just vote)

I miss y'all, I hope y'all are doing well

Ignore mistakes