Chapter 5: Why

My father got promoted in his work as a psychologist and has been given the chance to work overseas. While that sounds like a very delightful news, something to rejoice with, it didn't last long. One night, after cleaning the dishes, my mother went to bed early to rest for her work tomorrow. Being an only child, I tend to prioritize my own activities more than the responsibilities inside the house, leaving all the chores to my mother. Before watching National Geographic about whales, I turned off all lights and electronics as my mother had told me.

Father is supposed to get home earlier that evening, but a feast in celebration of his promotion led to him being late. I didn't think much of this and entered my room peacefully. Despite lying in bed for minutes, I expected that I'll sleep effortlessly the moment I positioned myself comfortably, but something eerie bothers me and I can't quite put a finger on it. I can't sleep at all because I feel totally uncomfortable, and trying various sleeping techniques didn't help. Frustrated, I reached for my phone and started watching relaxation videos, hoping to lull myself to sleep.

Minutes passed, and just as I was beginning to relax, I heard the soft click of my bedroom door knob turning. A dark silhouette appeared in the doorway. Startled, I squinted at the figure, trying to make out the familiar shape. My sleep-deprived mind quickly concluded it was my father, checking on me after getting home late

"Pakisara na lang ng maayos ng pintuan," I murmured, too tired to give it much thought. The figure lingered for a moment before closing the door. 'Something ain't right. It's not Father's routine to check on me at night' is what stuck in my mind while I tried to redirect my attention back to what I was watching. I felt a sense of urgency to know whoever that figure was, because who knows.

I got up and was about to leave the room, but before I touched the door knob, a thought came into my senses. 'If there are intruders inside my house, then there's the possibility of deadly weapons.' I slowly backed out of the door and used the windows to get out of my room.

Good thing that the other side of this window is our backyard, so I can access all areas outside of our main house. I first checked the kitchen since it is the nearest place from where I landed.

I crept toward the window and peered inside—nothing seemed out of place. Thinking about it, this position provided me a choice: to enter the kitchen through the window and assess the inner parts of the house with the risk of meeting whoever there is, or to continue scouting outside before devising a plan, but that would take longer.

I chose not to risk it and planned a course of ways where I'll head first. After a brief consideration, I decided to check the gate and see if there is evidence of forced entry. Before heading there, however, I noticed something unusual inside the house. I inched closer to the living room window and saw them—two men, masked and arguing in hushed tones. My heart pounded in my chest as fear gripped me. My thoughts raced to my mother, asleep in her bed, and my father, who could arrive home at any moment.

Panic threatened to paralyze me, but I forced myself to think clearly. I knew I was smart enough to outmaneuver these men, but the risk of getting caught was too high. The image of my parents finding me hurt or worse flashed through my mind, and I knew I had to make the right decision.

I might die if I took matters with my hands, literally, that's why after careful analysis, I had come to a conclusion: tell the neighbors and increase the manpower while we wait for the authorities to arrive.

With that course in mind, I head back to my room in search of my phone. Effortlessly, I took it out of my bed where I previously left it, and locked my door after going outside once again.