✧˖° 23 °˖✧

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE!

. *. THE JOURNEY HOME . * .

────────────────────

Arizona Grand Resort & Spa, Phoenix (Monday, August 7th, 2023 - 04:00am)

"cam, let's go" i hear mackenna's sleepy voice

"what?" i mumbled "no"

"yes. we're going back home! sunny, and full of tourists, los angeles!" she said trying to sound excited, or at least awake

"ok fine, just because i want my own bed" i said, getting out of bed "what time is is?"

"four, we need to be at the airport by five-thirty so hurry"

"i need to film!" i exclaimed, running around the room looking for my camera.

"you know, at first i hated that you filmed everything, but now, i look back at your vlogs and is like 'oh i remember when that happen!". real life savior"

"i know. i'm for the people" i joked. the last thing i heard was a 'what the fuck...' form her before closing the bathroom door.

i was halfway through brushing my teeth when i heard a knock on the door.

"kenna, can you get that?" i called out, the toothbrush still in my mouth.

"bro, who's even awake right now?" mackenna muttered, but i heard her walk toward the door anyway.

there was a pause, and then mackenna's voice perked up. "well, well, well, if it isn't kiwi boy."

my heart skipped a beat, toothpaste foam almost dribbling out of my mouth as i quickly spit and rinsed. i knew exactly who it was before i even stepped out of the bathroom.

"austin?" i asked, appearing from behind the door.

he stood there, looking a little disheveled but wide awake. "hey," he said, leaning against the doorframe with that lopsided grin of his. "you leaving soon?"

"yeah, we've got to head to the airport in about twenty minutes," i replied, suddenly aware of how messy my hair looked and the fact that i was wearing a mini and tight tank top. "what are you doing up this early?"

"couldn't sleep," he shrugged. "figured i'd come say goodbye before you take off."

my stomach did a weird flip, and i tried to play it cool. "that's sweet. but we'll see each other again in a few days, though."

"yeah, but you know... it's not the same," he said, his voice softening as he looked at me.

there was a brief silence, the kind where a million things were left unsaid, but neither of us seemed ready to voice them. mackenna, sensing the shift in energy, grabbed her luggage and waved toward the door. "i'll give you two a minute. don't take too long, cam. we've got a plane to catch."