Chapter 8: Love in the Little Things

Love in the Little Things

Having a label now, knowing that he is my boyfriend, brings me a sense of comfort and security that I didn't realize I needed. I've always been uncertain about where we stood after Cherry and Mona questioned me about it, but now everything feels clearer. There's no longer that nagging question about what we are. And honestly, it feels amazing.

"Zyrelle, u-um." Dwayne's voice pulled me out of my thoughts.

The happiness that was in his eyes just a moment ago was slowly replaced with nervousness. His smile faded, and I could see the unease in his gaze. He was fidgeting, so I reached out, taking his hand to get his attention.

"What is it?" Tanong ko at binigyan sya ng isang ngiti.

Kumuha sya nang malalim na hininga bago nagsalita.

"I-I know kakausap lang natin about our label, and it's supposed to be our first day," he said cautiously.

I nodded, encouraging him to continue.

"Since it will be our summer vacation, I'm supposed to take you out on dates, right?" Tanong nya.

I stayed quiet, waiting for him to finish.

"I'm sorry, but I can't do it," he admitted, his voice filled with regret. "You see, I have to work during the vacation, and I'll be very busy with it."

He paused for a moment. "I need to save up money to prepare for the next semester."

He looked into my eyes; his eyes still have uneasiness in them. He swallowed hard and bit his lower lip before continuing. "But, don't worry! I'll still ask you out whenever I have a day off. You don't have to worry about us not-"

Napatigil sya sa pagsasalita nang pisilin ko ang kamay nyang hawak ko.

"It's okay," I said softly.

He stared at me in surprise.

"It's okay if you can't take me out on dates. You don't need to. I'll be more happier knowing you're saving the money you earn for what's important, which is your future."

I smiled at him, hoping to ease the worry in his eyes. "I'll be satisfied with us just constantly talking. Make sure to call or text me during that time, okay?" Tanong ko sa kanya.

He nodded slowly, still processing what I just said.

Thank God, he didn't try to argue with me.

I'm really okay with this. He doesn't need to take me out on dates. I understand that he has bigger responsibilities to focus on, and that's perfectly fine. It's not just about me.

I'm okay with the thought that we'll still talk. And if I miss him, I can always go visit him. It's enough for me, because what we have now is real, and that's all I need.

"I'm really sorry, Zyrelle. I'll make it up to you." Sabi ni Dwayne habang naglalakad kami palabas nang campus.

Akala ko ay tapos na kami sa topic na 'to pero mukhang hindi pa pala.

"I told you, it's okay." I said, trying to reassure him once again that I didn't mind.

"But, I just feel guilty for not being able to do much for you," he added. Frustration is very evident in his voice.

I sighed, shaking my head lightly. "It's really alright. This isn't something you can control, and I understand. So please, don't worry about it." I gave him a smile, hoping it would finally ease his guilt.

The last thing I wanted was for him to stress over something as simple as not being able to take me out.

"Why don't we just meet up once your schedule's finalized? Let's hang out on your day off," I suggested, trying to make him feel better.