Prologue

Prologue.

Love isn't always about holding on. Sometimes, it's about letting go even when it hurts. It means wanting the best for the person you care about, even when it means you have to make sacrifices.

Trust is what makes letting go possible. It's the belief that your love won't fade, even when you're apart. It's the connection you've built together that reassures you it isn't fragile or temporary. It's not about daily phone calls or constant reassurances; it's a deeper understanding that, no matter where life takes you, you will still be there for each other. Because you love someone, the distance won't change that.

But it's not just about trusting your partner; it's also about trusting yourself. It's believing that the strength of your own love can endure the waiting and the loneliness, because you know what you have with your partner is worth it. A trust like that is rare, and it's what makes sacrifice possible.

Trust also means being honest, even when it's hard. It means giving the other person the space to grow and follow their dreams, while trusting that they won't lose sight of what's important. And if the day comes when love changes, trust means having the courage to admit it. It means letting the other person go, not out of bitterness, but out of respect for what you once shared.

Sacrifice is often viewed as grand and tragic, but sometimes it's quiet. Letting go isn't about giving up; it's about supporting your partner, even when it means being alone. Knowing how much hard work went into reaching this moment means more to you than anything else. Setting aside your own fears and loneliness, believing that love is strong enough to survive the distance, isn't easy. But that's what love is all about: it sometimes asks you to put the other person's happiness above your own.

Love is more than just being together; it's about trusting each other enough to make sacrifices, believing that time apart will only make the moments together that much sweeter.

"Wala ka bang balak na pigilan akong umalis?" He asked me while looking so frustrated.

I shook my head and looked away.

Seeing him like that is making me change my mind, but I can't do that. Not to him.

"Am I not important to you?" He asked accusingly, which made me look back at him.

Nakakunot ang noo nya habang titig na titig sya sa akin.

I felt heaviness in my chest and felt my eyes stung.

I tried my best to hold the tears back from forming in my eyes.

"Is that why you're pushing me away?" Dagdag na tanong nya gamit ang mahinang boses na mas lalong nagpabigat sa nararamdaman ko.

I took a deep breath to calm myself. I can't show him that I'm hurting because of what he said. He's already hurting, and I don't want to burden him with this.

I know that he's only saying that because he doesn't want to go. I know it too well, but I still can't give him what he wants. I don't want him to drop everything just for me.

"Of course not. Alam mong hindi totoo 'yan." Sabi ko gamit ang kalmadong boses.

He gasped when he saw how calm I am.

"Then why? Kung mahalaga ako sayo, bakit mo ako hahayaang umalis?" Mababakas sa boses nya ang lungkot at disappointment.

Napalunok ako bago sumagot. "You already know my answer to that question."

He brushed his hair in frustration.

"But I don't want to be away from you! Limang taon! Limang taon akong malalayo sayo, Zy! Hindi ko kaya 'yon. Alam mong hindi ko kayang malayo sayo nang ganon katagal," he said while taking a step towards me.