Chapter 16: The Crumbling Dream

The Crumbling Dream

London, United Kingdom

As soon as I stepped out of the airport, the cool, crisp air wrapped around me like a refreshing breeze. It's very different from the tropical warmth of the Philippines. This is cooler, sharper, with a hint of winter in the air. The sky, though overcast, had a softness to it, a muted grey that seemed to stretch endlessly over the city.

The cold is not really that surprising since it's already December. Winter is fast approaching.

I took in the scene before me. Rows of black cabs, cars, and double-decker buses moved steadily along the busy streets. Towering buildings with intricate details stood side by side, casting long shadows over the pavement.

For a moment, I stood still, feeling overwhelmed by the immensity of it all. The scale of the city, the unfamiliar accent of the people bustling around me, and the realization that I'm finally here washed over me like a wave.

I took a deep breath and smile.

Finally. We're finally breathing the same air and seeing the same landscape.

I raised my hand to hail a taxi. It pulled up, and I slid in the backseat. The driver greeted me with a thick British accent.

"Where to, young lady?" He asked, glancing at me in the rearview mirror.

I gripped my phone a little tighter and gave him the address of Dwayne's condo unit. He nodded his head and started the drive.

Sumandal ako sa upuan at tumingin sa bintana. I watched the scenery unfold before my eyes, each street and building changing as minutes passed by.

Pagdating namin sa address na sinabi ko ay nagbayad ako at nagpasalamat sa driver bago bumaba ng taxi.

I looked up at the tall building in front of me, a wave of nervousness washed over me that wasn't there earlier.

This is where he lives now. So different from our small apartment back home.

I swallowed the lump forming in my throat and stepped inside the tall building.

The lobby was grand, a far cry from anything I was used to. The polished marble floors gleamed under the soft lighting, and a large chandelier hung from the high ceiling. Plush chairs were arranged neatly in the sitting area, where a few people sat, their conversations blending with the soft hum of classical music in the background. Large windows framed the entrance, while the front desk stood elegantly at the far end of the room.

Thankfully, the guard wasn't strict. He simply asked me to write my name in the log book and scanned my belongings. After that, I was free to go.

Sumakay ako sa elevator at pinindot ang number five.

The lift moved quickly, and before I could even fully gather my thoughts, I was already on the fifth floor.

Lumabas ako ng elevator at hinanap ang room number ng condo unit nya.

I glanced around as I walked down the hallway.

501, 502, 503, 504, 505, 506...

I stopped in my tracks as I stood in front of the door with the number 507 displayed clearly on it.

My heart pounded as I stood there, staring at the door.

What is he going to say once he sees me? It's the weekends, so wala syang pasok kaya sigurado akong nandito sya ngayon. And kung wala man sya ay pwede ko naman syang hintayin na bumalik.

I couldn't help but quietly giggle as I imagined the look on his face. I bet he's going to be really surprised. His eyes will widen in shock with his mouth slightly open.