Chapter 9: Roots and Connections

Roots and Connections

The following days unfolded like a comfortable routine, each one blending into the next with familiar warmth.

Whenever we didn't see each other, we would talk over the phone, filling the silence of our days with laughter and shared stories. Our conversations stretched late into the night, as if time itself paused to let us savor each moment.

Whenever I missed him, I would visit his workplace, feeling a flutter of excitement each time I entered the fast food restaurant where he worked. The moment I walked in, his co-workers would smile knowingly at each other, and I'd catch Dwayne's eyes light up as he saw me. We would often leave together, the walk home filled with lighthearted banter and stolen glances.

One day, their manager introduced me as his girlfriend, and I felt my cheeks heat up with embarrassment as they erupted in playful teasing. Dwayne tried to brush it off, but I could see him stopping himself from smiling, clearly enjoying their teasing, even as he glanced at me to apologize.

On his day offs, I insisted he take the time to rest. At first, he argued back, wanting to spend every free time with me, but I stood firm in my decision.

"You need this," I would remind him, and eventually, he would give in, though with a hint of reluctance. I want him to recharge, knowing how hard he worked.

As the days turned into weeks, this routine became a comforting rhythm in our lives. It's very different from what we had before the summer vacation but equally meaningful. Each day brought new moments to cherish, from our phone calls to our walks home, and I found myself looking forward to the simple joy of being by his side.

"Zy, malapit na yung enrollment. Sasabay ka ba sa amin or kasabay mo si Dwayne?" Mona asked, pausing her meal as she adjusted her camera.

I watched the screen shake a little as she settled herself back down.

"Since sabay naman ang enrollment nang mga course natin, you can go with him. Ano ba napag-usapan nyo?" Tanong naman ni Cherry habang naghahanap ng maisusuot sa closet nya.

Napabuntong hininga ako.

"I don't know. I haven't talked to him about it yet. I'll let you know later kung sasabay ako sa inyo." Sabi ko at isinandal ang ulo sa dingding nang kwarto ko.

"Alright, just tell us what you've decided on." They both said in unison, making me smile a bit at how synchronized they were.

After that, we decided to catch up on what we did during the vacation.

Mona said that she just stayed at home binge-watching korean series from her seemingly endless watchlist. Meanwhile, Cherry went out on a date with Iñigo, the varsity player, which immediately caught Mona's interest.

At first, halos magpantig ang tenga ko dahil sa tili ni Mona pero kaagad din naman syang tumigil nang mapansing hindi masaya si Cherry.

"It was a total bummer," Cherry admitted, looking down with a hint of frustration. "That guy was a complete playboy. When I got to our meeting spot, I saw him hitting on a group of girls. And," she said, her voice rising, "when I walked up to him, I overheard him telling them that he's just going to hang out with his friends. Friends. With an 'S.' As if he didn't want them to know we were on a date!"

Cherry slammed her hand on the table, causing her phone's camera to shake violently.

"The whole date was a disaster," she continued, rolling her eyes. "All he did was talk about himself. Nonstop. He kept going on and on about how great he was and how many people liked him."

Mona and I exchanged glances through the screen as Cherry ran her finger through her hair in exasperation.

"He's such a turn-off!" she exclaimed, throwing her hands up. "The only good thing about him was his face!"