Our survival - Angel Dust {Hazbin hotel}

The low hum of the spaceship reverberated through the cold metallic halls, accompanied by the rhythmic beeping of the onboard systems

The low hum of the spaceship reverberated through the cold metallic halls, accompanied by the rhythmic beeping of the onboard systems. Outside the thick glass of the observation deck, the endless void of space stretched out in every direction, broken only by the looming sight of a desolate, scarred Earth.

It had been a century since nuclear conflict had wiped out most of civilization. The war had been brutal, swift, and absolute, leaving the Earth a wasteland of radioactive ruins and ash. Those who survived had been the fortunate few, packed into an experimental spaceship designed to preserve the last remnants of humanity. Generations lived and died aboard the vessel, waiting—hoping—that one day, the Earth might heal enough for them to return.

Now, that day had come. The onboard AI had detected faint signs of the planet's recovery. The radiation levels had dropped in certain regions, and small patches of vegetation had even begun to sprout in the aftermath of humanity's self-destruction. But before the survivors could make any plans to repopulate the Earth, someone needed to assess the situation firsthand.

That's where Angel Dust and Y/n came in.

"So, they're sending us down to a giant radioactive sandbox," Angel grumbled, adjusting his space suit as he paced the small docking bay. "I mean, sure, I've been in some hellholes before, but this? This is next-level hell, even for me."

Y/n stood next to him, silently preparing her own gear. The mission weighed heavily on her, not because of the dangers they were about to face, but because of what Earth had once meant. It was the home humanity had destroyed, and now she and Angel were tasked with determining if it could ever be home again.

"We've survived worse," Y/n said, her voice steady but tinged with underlying uncertainty.

Angel snorted. "Yeah? Name one thing worse than walking around in a post-apocalyptic, nuclear-blasted wasteland."

Y/n smiled faintly, despite the situation. "Remember the first time we met? You and me, stuck in that malfunctioning simulation pod for three days? Thought we were goners."

Angel's expression softened as he chuckled. "Okay, yeah. That was pretty bad. But this? This is still worse. No strip clubs, no booze, not even a decent pizza joint to crash at when we're done."

Y/n rolled her eyes, adjusting the oxygen mask attached to her helmet. "You're impossible."

"That's why you love me, doll," Angel winked, though his usual bravado was tempered by the enormity of what they were about to do. They both knew the risks. If the Earth wasn't habitable, the mission would be for nothing. But if it was... they could bring hope back to the survivors in the ship above.

The ship's docking bay sealed shut as Angel and Y/n boarded the small landing craft that would take them to the surface. The AI-guided descent was smooth at first, but as they broke through Earth's atmosphere, the turbulence hit. The craft shook violently, the view outside shifting from the dark calm of space to the bruised, stormy skies of the ravaged planet below.

Through the window, Y/n could see the charred remains of a once-great civilization. Broken buildings jutted out of the ground like skeletal hands reaching toward the sky, and vast stretches of land were nothing more than barren, cracked earth.

"Jesus, look at this place," Angel muttered, his usually sarcastic tone now subdued by the sheer devastation below.

Y/n couldn't tear her eyes away from the sight. "It's like a graveyard."

The craft touched down with a shudder, settling in the midst of a decayed cityscape. As the hatch opened, the stench of the planet hit them first—a foul mix of ash, decay, and a hint of something unfamiliar in the air. The suits they wore would protect them from radiation and toxins, but the weight of the place still pressed down on them.

"Alright,"** Angel said, stepping out onto the cracked, dusty ground, **"let's see what kind of mess we're dealing with."

The two of them moved cautiously through the city, their boots crunching against rubble and debris. The ruins of buildings stretched out in every direction, once bustling streets now desolate and silent. Overhead, the sky was a sickly yellow, clouds swirling ominously as if the planet itself was still in mourning.

Angel scanned the area with a small handheld device, monitoring radiation levels. "It's low here, but I wouldn't start building condos just yet."

Y/n glanced around, trying to take it all in. Despite the destruction, there was an eerie beauty to the place—a stark reminder of what had once been. "It's strange. After all these years, it feels... empty."

"No kidding,"** Angel muttered, his gaze wandering toward the remains of a park. **"Think anyone's left down here?"

Y/n's heart tightened at the thought. Survivors? After all this time? "I doubt it. Not in a place like this."

Angel smirked, though there was no real joy in it. "Guess we're not the only ones who nuked ourselves to hell, huh?"

As they ventured deeper into the ruins, they came across something unexpected—a patch of green. Small, fragile plants had begun to grow among the rubble, their roots digging into the cracks of the concrete. Y/n knelt down, carefully brushing the dirt away from the tiny shoots.

"It's life," she whispered, almost in disbelief.

Angel joined her, his usual sarcasm replaced by awe. "Well, damn. Guess Earth's got a little fight left in it after all."

For the first time since they had landed, Y/n felt a spark of hope. If plants could grow in this wasteland, then maybe—just maybe—humanity had a chance to return.

As they continued their exploration, they couldn't shake the feeling that they were being watched. Y/n felt it first—a prickling sensation at the back of her neck, like someone was lurking just out of sight. Angel dismissed it at first, but soon enough, he felt it too.

"You feel that?" Angel asked, his voice low as he scanned the area.

Y/n nodded, her hand instinctively tightening around the handle of her scanning device. "We're not alone."

Suddenly, a figure darted out from the shadows—a gaunt, skeletal survivor, their eyes wide with fear and desperation. They lunged at Y/n, but Angel reacted quickly, knocking the person back before they could cause any harm.

The survivor collapsed to the ground, gasping for breath. "Please... help..."

Y/n knelt down beside the figure, her heart breaking at the sight of their frail, emaciated form. "You're alive," she whispered, astonished. "How long have you been down here?"

The survivor looked up at her with hollow eyes, their voice barely a whisper. "Too long... too long... They never came back for us."

As they helped the survivor to their feet, Y/n and Angel realized the full scope of what they were dealing with. The Earth wasn't just a wasteland—it was a graveyard. But there were still people here, clinging to life, waiting for a rescue that had never come.

Their mission had taken on a new urgency. It wasn't just about determining Earth's habitability anymore—it was about saving those who had been left behind, forgotten by the world above.

Y/n looked at Angel, her determination clear in her eyes. "We have to help them."

Angel, for once, didn't argue. He nodded. "Yeah. We do."

As they prepared to make contact with the ship, Y/n couldn't help but wonder if Earth could ever truly be home again. But as she looked at the fragile patch of green growing among the ruins, she knew one thing for certain:

There was still hope. And that was enough.