The Stage

"So... what are we looking at, exactly?"

Yerim's voice cut through the group's collective confusion. The seven of us stood smack in the middle of the bustling city. Despite it being a Saturday afternoon, the crowd somehow barely bothered us at all. The space in front of us was devoid of anyone, as if the entire population of the city had decided to avoid the specific spot. Everyone except for us.

Joohyun checks her watch. "If there's nothing to see here, I have an assignment I have to get to."

Wendy turned to me, ignoring Joohyun's exasperation. "Y/N, do you feel anything?"

I scrunched my face in confusion. "Here? In the middle of the city?"

"Isn't it weird that no one's stepping foot in this spot?" Seulgi offered.

It was a little surreal, if anything. Between the busy shop lots and hundreds of passersby, this one empty spot was completely invisible to all but us. What made it even more peculiar was the fact that the lot, if it could be considered one, was right at the end of the block it was a part of. The store directly adjacent to it, a florist's, ended to make way for this spot, large enough to house its own establishment. On the other side was nothing but road. With an ample area leading up to the side of the road and a pedestrian crossing, one would expect most pedestrians to walk across this space. Instead, everyone who passed our way remained on the sidewalk, turning the corner despite the slightly longer walk.

"I don't see anything," Ildo chimed up.

"She clearly wasn't asking you," Yerim muttered, barely audible.

"What was that?" Ildo asked, genuinely having not heard her.

"I said, that colour looks good on you."

In an attempt to investigate the unusual phenomenon, I walked to the centre of the empty space. The concrete below was surprisingly even for an exposed area. It was as though it had suffered no wear at all—no footsteps, no bird crap, no litter. It was almost as smooth as the floor of the basketball court back in my high school in Minnesota.

"Nothing," I admitted. "What's the case, Seulgi?"

On cued, Seulgi pulled her phone out to look at the report she'd been going off of. "So according to the report, there's supposed to be a tent bar here."

Baffled, I stomped my foot on the concrete a couple of times. "Doesn't seem to be."

"Apparently it disappears."

I suppressed the urge to scoff at how ridiculous that sounded. I'd been able to see the supernatural for 23 years, and I'd never heard of anything like that.

"Do you think it's a hoax?" Sooyoung suggested, voicing out my suspicions. Her question was punctuated by a sigh from Joohyun, her arms crossed.

"How do you explain everyone avoiding this spot, then?" Wendy asked.

Joohyun was growing more impatient by the second. "I thought we were supposed to be investigating the supernatural, not some coincidental bullshit."

"Did the report state when they saw the bar?" Yerim asked Seulgi.

"Right... in the middle of the day."

Wendy eyed Joohyun with uncertainty. "What if we come back to look for it later?"

"It's obviously a hoax," Joohyun said, calming herself. "We've had hoaxes before, no big deal."

We came to a wordless agreement with Joohyun's statement. Seulgi sighed and slid her phone back into her sling purse. One by one, we turned to leave the empty lot.