The Midway

"Are you sure you're okay, oppa?" Yerim asked for the fourth or fifth time that day.

From the moment the others arrived at our house that morning, Yerim came to me, worried about my well-being after the events of two days ago.

"I'm fine, really," I persisted as I grabbed a drinking glass from the overhead kitchen cabinet. "Just a scratch is all."

"You were so brave back there at the bridge." She leaned her back against the counter, trying to casually sit on top of it but failing due to her shorter stature.

"I mean, that's just what I'm here to do, I guess," I shrugged.

The sound of Ildo clearing his throat alerted us to his presence before he entered the kitchen, with both his hands in the pockets of his black jacket. "I could've gone and spoken to it, too, Y/N. You don't have to shoulder all the burden."

Considering the fact that the ghost went straight to Blackpink Mansion after our encounter, I had a feeling that wouldn't have made a difference.

"I'll keep that in mind. Thanks, Ildo," I said anyway, to which he responded with a nod as he filled his own glass at the faucet.

I gulped down the rest of the water in my glass without interruption; Yerim had become surprisingly quiet, in contrast to the rest of the time she'd been there that day. Laying my glass back onto the counter with a clink, I made my way back to the living room where the others were.

"Good to see you up and running again, Y/N."

"Good morning to you, too, Joohyun." She apparently had just arrived.

"Seulgi, do you have a new case for us today?" she asked, as if she'd been waiting for a confirmation of my condition before proceeding with business as usual.

"I don't think that would be the best idea, unnie," Seulgi replied from her place on the couch with Wendy. "I think we should take a break."

"What?" A somewhat conflicted expression showed on her face. What made her so keen on looking for more cases?

"That last one was..." Seulgi flashed a glance at me. "I just think maybe we should tone it down a little after what happened."

"Oh, and it's our semester break," Sooyoung added.

"A couple of days ago, a bunch of my classmates went to that amusement park that's popular recently," Yerim stated.

Wendy's eyes lit up. "That's a great idea! We can all spend the day there, take a break from all the demons and ghosts and mortal danger."

We all turned our gaze to Joohyun, who was chewing on her lip.

"What say you, o' leader?" Ildo said in a slight mocking tone, as if he knew what she'd have to say.

"I guess I don't have much of a choice, do I?"

~~~

"Remember, if you see any ghosts, just ignore them," Wendy half-yelled, trying to speak over the noise of the crowd. Children screamed excitedly to their parents, leading them by the hand as the metallic sounds of various rides filled in the gaps of noise.

"But what if they really, really need our help?" I challenged sarcastically.

"What about all those ghosts you ignored over the past 23 years, what if they really, really needed your help?" she rebutted with an eye roll and a smirk.

"Guys~" Yerim turned around and called from the front of the group, the pockets of her pink parka barely containing her excited hands. "Which ride should we try first?"