Reasons To Be Alone

On a Wednesday night, the pest control guild was discussing the decisions of that week.

Delegate 1: "It's already decided, it must be before Saturday."

Delegate 2: While the majority voted yes, there was only one member who voted against... Mrs Great.

Delegate 3: "Great, this is the 5th time this has happened, tell me, do you think your decisions are above us?"

Great: "The decision taken does not seem viable to me"

Delegate 2: "Mrs. Great, you should know that for our organization to function, the guild must regulate what the rest do not do... either by making decisions outside the law or... getting rid of a couple of broken nails."

The power of the guild goes beyond the laws that a country has established, it can act above or "below" them, if they do not want the actions to be carried out. Although the union's reason for existence is to favor the organization's controllers, they have no problem getting rid of them if it does not suit those of higher rank.

Mrs Great left the guild building, together with her right-hand woman, Miss Maltese.

Maltese: "Seriously the guild plans to do that just for a fly?"

Great shushed her to lower her voice: "Don't say it out loud, it's already bad enough that I said it to you."

Maltese whispered: "But... are you really going to do it? Can't you refuse?"

Great: "I can't keep refusing, I've already been too opposed to it... on the other hand, Kenny is a good guy, your relationship with him is better now and he will soon be my nephew-in-law."

Maltese: "So...?"

Great: "Look, I know this looks bad, but actually... it's under control."

Maltese: "Under whose control?"

Great: "Well, That depends on what the big dog wants to do."

Maltese: "Are you going to call Mr. Hellhound?"

Great: "It is not necessary, he will come tomorrow to visit his children, I just need to intercept him." She pulled out her phone and dialed a good friend's number, "Hey, Lucy! Hey, do you want me to pick your daddy up at the airport?"

Lucy replied: "Oh... well... I don't know if he'll be..."

Great: "Oh Lucy, please don't be mean, come on, I'm making the puppy eyes."

Lucy sighed: "Okay, but don't overdo him this time, please."

Great: "Oh no, my friends, Who do you think I am?"

...

Tuesday, 14:55 at the city airport.
The flight from Brisbane landed at New Atlantis Airport. Among the dozens of dogs that landed that day, there was one old dog with a lot of excitement, a fit old man with a peculiar family. Muscular to a certain extent, single and with a knack for pest extermination.

Bones Hellhound unpacked his suitcases, there were two of them, which was unusual since he lived alone, but he usually carried useless things in his suitcases, perhaps so as not to carry so much loneliness, it was a questionable but effective coping method.

Bones leaned on a railing to look outside, the city of New Atlantis, located in the country... uh... eh... let's say Libertany, bordering the USA and Mexico.

Dogs like Bones tend to live a long time, and I don't mean because of their breed, but rather because of their ability to survive, something that perhaps very few dogs have.
As Bones thought about this as if it were the anti-life equation, a hairy hand rested on his right shoulder while the rest of the body carefully approached him.