Chapter 16

Tay grips his phone tight, knuckles paling as his call goes to voicemail for the nth time. He wants to shout! To explode. This couldn't be the end of them. He cannot countenance the thought. They've been through so much together, their story couldn't end on such a stale note.

They wasted 6 months tiptoeing around each other but the following 6 months together were some of the happiest times in his life. They were not perfect but they were enough. He couldn't let go. He cannot.

This stubbornness, this need to save something that didn't want to be saved sets Tay on a thankless journey.

**

Two days after his heart grew legs and walked out of his body, Tay still held out hope that it would return to him, bleeding, beating, having failed to be apart from him for too long.

He considers going to Bangkok to beg his lover back but he knows he'd be making matters worse for New. So he resorts to the only way now, endless calls and texts. He calls New on WeChat, on Instagram, on Line, on freaking WhatsApp. His calls go unheeded.

Tay goes the extra mile to arrange a meeting with P'Jack, New's manager. He thinks he can get New to come to him if it is business related. It worked in the past, it could work again.

"Mr. Techaapaikhun wants you to stop calling him or a restraining order will be issued," P'Jack says. He sounds like he pities Tay. "Let him go."

Tay does not. He keeps calling New's phone. The man hasn't blocked him yet. He takes that as a sign to keep trying. He sends messages. Tells New how much he loves him. How much he misses him.

The sunset is not as pretty when you're not here.

Our sheets still smell like you.

You left a T-shirt behind. Can you come get it? Shall I return it to you? My wardrobe is full.

How are you holding up?

Are they giving you a hard time?

Baby, please pick up. I just want to talk to you one last time.

The messages show that they've been read but New sends nothing back.

**

One week after New leaves, he holds a press conference to denounce their love.

"It was just a huge misunderstanding," the actor swears into the recorders that are almost poking his face. He looks stunning, hair slicked back and lips glossed pink. Tay's heart clenches just looking at him.

"People who work in television can attest to how camera angles are used to tell stories we want you to believe. It must have looked like we were kissing," he chuckles like the notion is utterly ridiculous. "But trust me, it wasn't like that. Don't believe everything you see on the internet, kids."

New sounds convincing. This is his best role yet. A standing ovation for the talented New Thitipoom Techaapaikhun.

Mics are shoved closer into his face, "What is the nature of your relationship with Mr. Vihokratana?"

"That man is a business partner," he laughs into the mic. That man. "I did business with him sometime last year. He showed me around Kalasin for a bit. He was a good business partner and quite pleasant company. So when I ran into him in Bangkok, I returned the favor. He is nothing to me." Lying comes easy to Newwiee. He puts on a sad frown. "I don't want people to read too much into this. The inane speculations have upset so many people. My girlfriend included."

The reporters pounce on that like bloodhounds. "Who is she?" "Is it someone we know?" "Would you have announced your relationship if this news hadn't broken out?"