Chapter 18

For a long time after Newwiee left, Tay had visions of him turning up at their door. Maybe crawl into their bed while Tay is asleep like he has done many times, and apologize for the hurt.

"I wasn't thinking straight," he would say. "I love you, we can make this work together."

But that, needless to say, never happened and Tay stopped wishing.

Perhaps wishes take some time to materialize because just as he has dreamed, New is here at his door. Tay's heart thrashes like a wild animal at the sight of his beloved. Ex-beloved. It is a battle between his head and his heart. Tay keeps a lock on his heart.

The actor's hair is tousled like his fingers have gone through the locks many times. His navy jacket from before has disappeared and the buttons on his shirt seem more undone than when he last saw them.

Tay keeps a tight rein on his droning nerves as New sways across the corridor toward him. "Newwiee," the name is breathed out involuntarily. Damn it!

"In the flesh," the man beams. Closer, Tay makes out his flushed cheeks and fuzzy eyes.

He blinks at New in confusion. "Are you drunk?"

"It seems so."

"It seems—," Tay huffs and rolls his eyes up to the ceiling, praying for some patience to deal with this man. "You don't drink."

"You said it yourself," a tiny shrug. "Change is good."

"Did you drive here?"

"No, I'm not stupid. I took a cab." His eyes widen. "Fuck, I think I left my jacket in the cab."

Tay shuts his eyes briefly. "Newwiee," he says with as much conviction as he can muster. "You need to leave." His heart does not like the sound of that. It thrashes some more.

"May I come in?" He ignores Tay's words.

What? "No."

"Why?"

"Do you want a list?"

New finds that hilarious. He chuckles. Runs his fingers through his hair again. "Sorry, stupid question. It's just—," he stops suddenly. A frown pulls his face together. He looks at Tay, really looks at him. From his bare feet up to his undone shirt. "Is there—," his Adam's apple bobs. "Is someone—did I interrupt something?"

The look in his eyes tugs at the strings of Tay's heart. Any sensible person would say yes and get him kicked out. History shows he has never been sensible with Newwiee in the equation. "No, I'm alone. There's no—uh yeah."

New visibly relaxes. "Let me come in. I want to come in." He isn't asking anymore. "It's cold outside." He wraps his arms around himself and mock shivers. Tay rolls his eyes and that makes Newwiee smile, bright, and honest. It is nothing like the bravado grin he was wearing moments ago.

Tay is stepping to the side even before he realizes, "Come on in."

New slides quickly into the room as if Tay might change his mind. He starts to look around the apartment. His fingers brush along the smooth walls and coffee wood paneling, he eyes the kitchen on the other side of the large room, sits on the couch for a second, bounces like a kid, and stands back up. He takes the three short steps that lead to the gigantic windows that open out over the city.

Tay holds his breath throughout. He wants New to like the place. For whatever reason, he doesn't want to touch.

"This is beautiful." Newwie's palms are pressed against the windows. He twists his neck to look at Tay. "I like it."